Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5591 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 1 of 4
05 July 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
A friend of mine recently made a big attempt at learning Indonesian.
He read it was very easy indeed and desperate to be a show off and show he spoke more languages he decided to try and learn it.
The results were apparently rather bad. He didn't get very far with it at all and then got bored and gave up.

This got me thinking.
A lot is made about Indonesian apparently being very easy. It's practically cliche to say how easy it is.
Yet...is it really that easy for a European to learn?

I mean...purely going off the grammar rules and all that there- yes, it probally is. Assuming a alien from another planet who is just looking for the most easy language then that's what he would plump for.

But its just so darn alien and 'pointless' (no offence intended here) to Europeans.
I mean...sure. Maybe Norwegian is technically harder than Indonesian. But for a English speaking European? A lot of the grammar rules and vocabulary is alrady there. If he's a German then he practically speaks it already.
And then there's the culture too. Norwegian culture is just a subset of north european culture which is one of the central points of the west. The way Norwegians think about the world isn't too different to the way a Welshman does or even a Spaniard or even still a Russian. Perhaps.
Indonesia meanwhile...Sure. Its not the dodgy 19th century colonial stereotype of people in mud huts clicking at each other (...hey...aint that Namibia?) but its a very alien place. Everything in its history has a disconnet to ours.

Even comparing Indonesia to another alien country and it could perhaps be rather alien.
Take Japan for instance. Despite coming from a very alien place Japan is very modern and has many western influences upon it. You can understand some of the thinking there. Or at least I can. It just doesn't seem that alien to me.
Perhaps this is due to the media?
You get lots of films, computer games, etc... coming from Japan and China. We in the west know about them and have them as part of our culture just as some guy out in Nigeria has a David Beckham poster on his wall. Indonesia meanwhile...not too much in the way of cultural exports to be seen over here.
Hell, outside of the Biljmer you don't even seem to get many Indonesian people around Europe. Its a very foreign country indeed.

Any thoughts?
Am I just over thinking this?

Edited by Tyr on 05 July 2010 at 5:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

maaku
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 

Message 2 of 4
05 July 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I don't speak Indonesian, but I think you're overthinking this... learning any language is hard. Any label of 'easy' would be relative. From what I know of Indonesian, having traveled extensively in south-east asia, it is significantly easier than other local languages. But it's still an entire language in and of itself!

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5949 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 3 of 4
05 July 2010 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Tyr wrote:

This got me thinking.
A lot is made about Indonesian apparently being very easy. It's practically cliche to
say how easy it is.
Yet...is it really that easy for a European to learn?

I mean...purely going off the grammar rules and all that there- yes, it probally is.
Assuming a alien from another planet who is just looking for the most easy language
then that's what he would plump for.

That's pretty accurate, what people tend to forget that simple grammar rules don't help
you remember very foreign vocab.
However, Indonesia isn't as remote as you try to paint it; they know who David Beckham
and "Bradgelina" are (football is massive in Indonesia and they were the first Asian
team to compete at a World Cup in 1938) I have Irish heritage and live a stone's throw
from Wales but my circumstances make Indonesian, Thai, Lao and Urdu much more important
to me than the Celtic languages. One person's "most useless" language is another's
raison d'être.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 4 of 4
05 July 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I was not aware that Indonesian was considered an easy language to learn until now, so this topic intrigues me. Maybe sometime I will have to take a look at this language and learn some of it, despite the fact that I really never had a large desire to learn many languages outside of the ones spoken in Europe.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version