Groupie
Canada
Joined 5328 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 1 of 5
05 July 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two words? For some of the example sentences at
http://jisho.org/words?jap=閉じる+閉める&eng=&dict=edi ct they seem interchangeable. Is the only difference
that 閉める is mostly for doors, whereas 閉じる is more versatile maybe?

Edited by Fasulye on 05 July 2010 at 10:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5592 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 2 of 5
06 July 2010 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
There are situations where they are interchangeable and some where they are not. For one, 閉じる is both transitive and intransitive, while 閉める is transitive only (閉まる being its intransitive pair). Other than that, when one is preferred over the other is a matter of convention.

大辞泉 wrote:
[用法"> とじる・しめる ――「門を閉じる(閉める)」「店を閉じる (閉める)」「ふたを閉じる(閉める)」な ど、開いていたものの空間を埋める意では相 通じて用いられる。◇「戸が閉じる」「貝の ふたが閉じる」のように「~が閉じる」の形 では「閉(しめ)る」は使えない。「~が閉ま 」の形になる。◇「閉じる」と「閉める」 使い分けは慣用による。目・口や本・傘な は「閉じる」、引き出し・門などは「閉め 」を使うことが多い。◇「店を閉じる」は 業する意で多く使うが、「店を閉める」は 1日の営業を終る、または廃業するのどちら にも使う。

2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6577 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 5
06 July 2010 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
I usually consider these on a case-by-case basis, but my "Effective Japanese Usage Dictionary" (a great book every
learner should have) says this:

閉める To reduce or eliminate an opening in objects such as a door, window, drawer, or box. Unlike tojiru,
expressions such as hanbun shimeru (close halfway) and sukoshi shimeru (close partway) are possible.

閉じる To return an object, such as a gate, door, book, eye, mouth, or flower, to an unopened state. There is a sense
that the object is used to separate the inside from the outside. It also means "to bring to a conclusion".

If you look up 閉める in a Japanese dictionary, you see that it really has a broader range of meanings. It can be
written 締める, in which case it means to tighten or fasten. Written 絞める, it means to strangle.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5328 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 4 of 5
07 July 2010 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the explanations. So can words like "eye", "mouth", and "flower" not be used
with 閉める? I'm not sure I understand the "separate the inside from the outside" part.
Would you not 閉じる for a door inside a house, since both rooms are inside?

While we're at it, I'm also kind of confused about 昨年 and 去年. From
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q121 4476172 it seems to be just a
difference between literary language and colloquial language? My Japanese still isn't
great, so I just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand what's written there.
1 person has voted this message useful

starst
Triglot
China
Joined 5323 days ago

113 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchC1, German, Norwegian

Message 5 of 5
08 July 2010 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
It's better to consider 閉める/締める/絞める as three different words with the same pronunciation.

For me, 閉じる is always used with things that have two or more parts, which go from surrounding to center to close, e.g. eye, mouth. Door is a bit more complicated, you can use 閉める or 閉じる depending on which kind of structure it has.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version