Diglot
United States
Joined 5066 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Swedish

Message 1 of 8
06 July 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Does anyone here use the Cornell note-taking method when learning languages? Is it helpful? What might be the pros and cons?

I only recently discovered this method of note-taking and plan on trying it out (in general) when I return to school this fall.
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5137 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 8
06 July 2010 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
I used it in 9th grade English class for taking notes on something, but I hated it. That's probably because I learned in in school, and in English (not my favorite class), and because I didn't like the teacher telling me exactly what to write where, I like to write what I feel is important.

That being said, try it, you never know, it may be for you.

Tonitrus
Groupie
United States
Joined 5901 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 8
06 July 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
For a short period of time I was forced to learn it in school and to me it seemed to be a
"cut out" that you had to force pieces into even though they didn't really fit. For
instance, you're supposed to have a topic on the left hand side and the corresponding
information on the right. I would much prefer to write the topic on a single line and
follow it up beneath. That accomplishes the same thing without the essentially empty
column and having to try to draw a straight line and such. This is all personal
preference, of course.

The only aspect that I see being beneficial is the summary part on the bottom. If you
feel that is something that would help the information stick, then go right ahead.

I'm curious as to how you thought people might use it to learn a language.

Edited by Tonitrus on 06 July 2010 at 7:08am

FrauLola
Diglot
United States
Joined 5066 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes

Message 4 of 8
06 July 2010 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Well, I saw an article about it and started looking at Youtube videos on the topic and thought: if people use this in school, I wonder if they would also use it in their Language classes...

I too had the idea that it was very cut-out. I guess it would work alright for some classes and not so great for others.

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5081 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 5 of 8
06 July 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
The Cornell method for language learning could be good if you're studying the language at school or university or courses, where you usually have to deal with big amounts of grammar.

FrauLola
Diglot
United States
Joined 5066 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes

Message 6 of 8
06 July 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Well, when I go back to school and start with my Russian class, I may try it out. I will definitely report back to here on the results. (Hope I don't end up messing myself up! Hah)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 8
06 July 2010 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
I have Googled for some specific information about this technique, and I found this simple illustration, a more advanced versionhere plus some descriptions in words. In essence it is just a system with main ideas to the left, details to the right and a summary of the page at the bottom. Neat and rather harmless, and at least for subjects with a clear division between 'headlines' and 'details' it will be better than a unending unstructured row of comments.

The problem is that it is linear. This is a concession to the lecture situation, where the teacher begins at one end of the subject and when (s)he finishes you are supposed to have some kind of chronological AND logical travelogue on your paper - which can be difficult to achieve in practice. But this is a result of the use of the obsolete lecture form rather than a problem with the Cornell technique.

Mindmaps are the extreme opposite, and I don't like them. I find them messy and counterintuitive. I can't see how the central area can avoid being crowded if you really have a wellchosen core idea, and I miss some welldefined information about all the lines that part from a 'thought bubble' so the graphics don't really help me - not even as a notetaking tool. But I sympathize with the idea behind them.

My preferred note taking is definitely hierarchical, but I prefer thinking through the subject myself to get a logical structure and not let the order of the elements in some random lecture decide how things are structured. So normally I divide the paper into logically labeled areas which I fill out along the way, even if it means skipping back while the lecturer is talking. Logical connections are indicated by lines and arrows (sometimes with comments). The result is close to the intention behind the mindmaps, but visually it looks more like an ordinary geographical map with fields and roads and woods and lakes and last, but not least: road signs!

Edited by Iversen on 06 July 2010 at 12:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5115 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 8
07 July 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Interesting. I was actually sitting around one day wondering if the "Semantic map or web" method would be helpful to reinforce vocabulary and provide a method to think of new words/concepts/sentences to learn/translate. I have only used this method before as a brainstorming type of exercise for papers/presentations.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version