Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5581 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 1 of 3
06 July 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Have any new language-learning manuals been published in the past ten years based on his principles, or on similar ones?

Or any dictionaries? I thought I had seen a dictionary 'Using English' (Cambridge Univ. Press), but I cannot find it anymore... I did find lots of dictionaries having Roget in their title, but are they based on his division/ structure then? Are any better than others ?

Edited by JanKG on 06 July 2010 at 3:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6253 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 2 of 3
06 July 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious to know what you mean by his principles. The only non-scientific work I know from him is his thesaurus, of which there are plenty.

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5581 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 3 of 3
06 July 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I think (thought) he has organisational principles, some kind of thematic principles, allowing for lots of cross-references and bringing them together under several headings, in semantic groups.

My questions:
- which thesaurus could be better, or more up-to-date ? BTW: I do not think there is a Roget thesaurus for Dutch (or a thesaurus inspired on his principles ;-))...
- has that structure ever inspired language-learning [in-]directly?

Edited by JanKG on 06 July 2010 at 5:05pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version