MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 14
07 July 2010 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone. I just downloaded Anki and I'm building up a deck for Spanish and I'm having trouble getting accents on my words. I looked at the FAQ's and couldn't figure it out. I'm able to get accent marks in Word so I don't think it's my computer. Does anyone have any ideas?
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 14
07 July 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
I haven't had that problem at all, I've been able to put Spanish and Chinese words in no problem.
Have you googled it?

fielle
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
maliora.com
Joined 5066 days ago

53 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 3 of 14
07 July 2010 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
If you're using a mac, I've also been having trouble with accented characters. Have you tried copying things directly from Word into Anki? That may work if direct input doesn't.

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 

Message 4 of 14
07 July 2010 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Yes, I've googled it. And I am able to copy and paste from Word but that adds a lot of work. I'm using Windows Vista.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 14
07 July 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
I'm on Windows 7 and it works fine...
Maybe try uninstalling it and reinstalling it? it says that it comes with built in support for foreign characters. What keyboard layout are you using (just curious)?

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 

Message 6 of 14
07 July 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure what you mean by keyboard layout, but I have a fairly new HP keyboard and I use the alt+ctrl+' to get accents. I am planning on programming my keyboard to make it easier but I haven't done it yet. Think that would work?

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 7 of 14
07 July 2010 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
MixedUpCody wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by keyboard layout, but I have a fairly new HP keyboard and I use the alt+ctrl+' to get accents. I am planning on programming my keyboard to make it easier but I haven't done it yet. Think that would work?
This is what I mean by keyboard layouts.

I recommend you change your layout to either English-International (my preference) or one of the Spanish variants, so you can type accented and other letters (áßé®þú³¤€¼½¡) easily. With the English-International layout you can access more characters (including ones you'd need for Spanish and most other alphabets using the Latin alphabet) by holding the right "alt" key and pressing a key.
The dead keys take a while to get used to though.

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 

Message 8 of 14
07 July 2010 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
MixedUpCody wrote:
This is what I mean by keyboard layouts.

I recommend you change your layout to either English-International (my preference) or one of the Spanish variants, so you can type accented and other letters (áßé®þú³¤€¼½¡) easily. With the English-International layout you can access more characters (including ones you'd need for Spanish and most other alphabets using the Latin alphabet) by holding the right "alt" key and pressing a key.
The dead keys take a while to get used to though.

Thank you! I'm set up for United States-International now and anki will accept it. I appreciate the help.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version