11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
junjo
United States
Joined 5107 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 11
07 July 2010 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
I believe its pretty accepted that the Spanish subjunctive is among the most difficult aspects of the language for non-native speakers to master. I'm still learning myself and a few times I didn't use it when I should have, although I usually realize it right after that I "missed" it and should have used it.

But I was wondering just bad it sounds to a native Spanish speaker when someone doesn't use it. Does it really stand out if someone uses the present tense when they should have used subjunctive?
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5859 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 2 of 11
07 July 2010 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
"If I was you"

..sounds uneducated. Maybe that's how it sounds to them?

Tonitrus
Groupie
United States
Joined 5900 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 11
07 July 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
I can't speak from a native speaker's point of view but, as a learner of Spanish, I find
a distinct difference between forgetting to use the subjunctive in an expression of doubt
or hope (duda que, ojalá, etc.) than forgetting to use it in a convoluted conditional
phrase buried inside other constructions in a complex sentence.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6824 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 11
07 July 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
junjo wrote:
Does it really stand out if someone uses the present tense when they should have used subjunctive?

Yes, although I (and just about everyone I know) will not think too much about it as long as I understand the gist of what the speaker is trying to say.

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5114 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 5 of 11
07 July 2010 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Tonitrus wrote:
I can't speak from a native speaker's point of view but, as a learner of Spanish, I find
a distinct difference between forgetting to use the subjunctive in an expression of doubt
or hope (duda que, ojalá, etc.) than forgetting to use it in a convoluted conditional
phrase buried inside other constructions in a complex sentence.

This is my problem as well and seems to be the last hurdle in the subjunctive, the "set" kind of phrases using que are pretty easy to pick up and begin using immediately(and easily drilled with a method like FSI), but the complex hypothetical statements and tense changes are definitely tough.

hypersport
United States
Joined 5690 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 

Message 6 of 11
08 July 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
The subjunctive isn't any easier or more difficult than any of the other tenses. It's simply another tense that has a different meaning.

Read books in Spanish. Read novels. The more you read, the more you get a feeling for all of the tenses and how they start to "feel" right.

When someone makes a mistake in English you catch it right away. Doesn't sound right. The same thing will happen with Spanish if you use it enough.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5239 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 7 of 11
08 July 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
I'm not a native speaker of Spanish, so I can not say what the lack of subjunctive sound like to native speakers. As others have pointed out, it's probably like making a grammatical or pronunciation mistake in any language. It sort of sticks out.

That said, I do think it is important to point out that, while there are certain grammatical contexts where the subjunctive mood (not a tense, by the way) is mandatory (e.g. after forms like "querer que" and "esperar que", there are also many contexts where the subjunctive is optional and used to convey a nuance. One can say, "si tienes" or "si tengas". So the mistake is not in the grammatical form per se but more in the relationship to the intent of the speaker. This is the area where the subjunctive becomes really difficult for many foreigners, even for speakers of French where the subjunctive is widely used.

What is the exact nuance in the following phrase from a salsa song: "¿Qué tiene ella que no tenga yo?" Why "tenga" and not "tengo"? How big a mistake would it be to use the latter form? I think that most people wouldn't see any difference. But I may be wrong. I suspect that there is a lot of variation in the use of these kinds of subjunctives even amongst native speakers.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 8 of 11
08 July 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
One can say, "si tienes" or "si tengas".

One cannot say "si tengas". In the present tense "si" is always followed by the indicative. Nevertheless, I think you have a valid point, and I agree with what you say.

Edited by tractor on 13 July 2010 at 2:45am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version