brian91
Ireland
Joined 5239 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 9
08 July 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Okay, here is the situation: I want to be a polyglot, but I also want to experience culture in east Asia. I love
Chinese culture the most, and when I start college this autumn I can study Mandarin for four years (including six
months in the PRC or maybe Taiwan). But, I'm afraid that because of the difficulty of Mandarin, I will have to
slave away at it for a decade, ignoring my German etc.
This would obviously be a bad thing, as in achieving fluency in Mandarin I would lose my other languages, as it
is apparently such a difficult language.
So I guess what I'm really wondering is: how difficult is Mandarin? Would I have to sacrifice my other languages
for it? I was thinking of learning Indonesian instead: Asian culture + much simpler.

So what are your thoughts? Do you speak Mandarin with other languages? How long did it take you to become
proficient? Do you feel Mandarin took away (too much) from your other languages?

Okay, too many questions. :D

Thanks,
Confused Teenager

Edited by brian91 on 08 July 2010 at 6:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Adamdm
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5232 days ago

62 posts - 89 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Dari, German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 9
09 July 2010 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Yes, Chinese is very hard to learn*. I have been on it for over a decade, with the advantage of a tame 华人, and still find it a struggle to understand simple pieces of writing, or to converse at a level above the most basic.

However, your learning Chinese will not negatively affect your learning of other European languages, such as French and German - quite the opposite. Putting your brain to the sounds and logic of a language so far removed from the Indo-European ones helps you to recognise the similarities in those languages, and thus makes them easier to learn.

A year or two ago, I had the opportunity to take a Spanish course for free. Spanish is a language that I had never studied. I realised that my _starting_ competence in Spanish was about level to my Cinese ability!

Since then, I have revived my French (learned for 18 months, reluctantly, at school >30 years ago), and started with German. Pas de dificile, und so far, so gut! These are recreational breaks from my Chinese studies.

Like mountain climbing, or sailing around the world, put office problems in perspective, so does Chinese study make study of European languages seem like a fairly easy walk in a familiar park.

Good luck with your studies!

A

* (although some Westerners do seem to learn it with remarkable facility - one of my heroes in this regard is Rick Harbaugh author of an extremely useful Chinese/English dictionary [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0966075005/zipubooks], who, without any obvious Chinese antecedants [he's American born, doesn't look Chinese, and I imagine that his name is Welsh] did an economics degree in Taipei and compiled the dictionary in his spare time!)

Edited by Adamdm on 09 July 2010 at 2:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Genocyde
Groupie
United States
Joined 5567 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin, Persian

Message 4 of 9
09 July 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I'm studying Mandarin now, along with 3 other languages, and I really don't think it takes away from the others. It honestly isn't that difficult, excluding the writing system of course. The writing would be the thing to take away time from other languages.

Cassie.Stroll
China
Joined 5058 days ago

23 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*
Studies: English, Spanish, French

Message 5 of 9
10 July 2010 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Well,I am a native Chinese speaker.
I had learned English at school on and off for nearly six years, but my English is still not good. I think that's because I had little practice chances in the real life.

Every language has its difficulties, if you master the rules, things will be better and clearer. All you need is practice while keep learning.

edit: "little" should be corrected with"few"

Edited by Cassie.Stroll on 10 July 2010 at 3:58am

YoshiYoshi
China
Joined 5326 days ago

143 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 6 of 9
10 July 2010 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:
I was thinking of learning Indonesian instead: Asian culture + much simpler.

Indonesian:Southeast Asian culture + Muslim culture + much simpler.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 7 of 9
10 July 2010 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
Do it if you can stop/put off a language you're already learning, but I'd say stop adding languages to your "currently learning" list. It's hard, I know, but it'll be nearly impossible to get anywhere trying to study 3 languages and keep up with school, life, possibly a job, and everything else. Unless you don't sleep.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5259 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 8 of 9
10 July 2010 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
I would advise not to learn Indonesian just because you've heard that it's easy. You
need to have some basic interest in the countries of the languages you are studying in
order to stay motivated, not just a general interest in "Asia", which after all is a
huge continent with a vast number of peoples, cultures, religions, and languages. If
you are specifically interested in South-East Asia Indonesian might be a good choice,
but there is also Thai, Vietnamese, Khmer, and so on.

Why don't you check out the homepage for SOAS, University of London? They offer degree
courses in all kinds of Asian and African languages. You might see something that
takes your fancy there.

Without wanting to sound patronising, you're still young, you have plenty of time, and
you never know what avenues life is going to lead you down. If someone told me at 16 I
would be living in Japan and translating Japanese into English for a living I would
have laughed in their face.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version