United States
Joined 4455 days ago

53 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog*, English
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 35
02 March 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
"Anak" also means "child" (as in offspring) in Tagalog.
"Bahagi" means "to share" in Tagalog, and to a certain extend, "to divide" as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachgenie
Decaglot
Germany
Joined 5487 days ago

128 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Flemish, Persian, Swiss-German
Studies: English, Belarusian

Message 26 of 35
02 July 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
ALS wrote:
brian91 wrote:
Thanks, Eric.

Something that put me off was this quote from the antimoon.com forum about the difficulty of Indonesian:

"I hate to contradict all of you, but you are misguided. I am a professor of linguistics and Southeast Asian
Languages at the University of Michigan (Flint). Indonesian (and Malaysian) are very difficult to learn and perfect
due to the wmsp-sweep grammar rule."

Is this guy joking? What is the wmsp-sweep grammar rule? :D

I suspect he's full of it or didn't name this 'wmsp-sweep grammar rule' correctly. A lot of Google searching doesn't come up with anything about that, in fact the only two relevant searches are that Antimoon comment and this website. Obviously though I'm no expert in Indonesian, so perhaps someone who's more experienced can either explain this mystery rule or denounce it.

I wonder if the professor is in some way or another referring to sweepdecking, which is however a self-study method and not really a rule. I couldn't find anything useful about WMSP either, but I think it could mean something like Writing, Memorizing, Speaking, Practicing. This would be consistent with sweepdecking. I still wouldn't consider that to be a "rule," but it's possible the professor meant that as a general rule to learning Indonesian, one must use WMSP and sweepdecking methods.
2 persons have voted this message useful

michi
Nonaglot
Austria
Joined 5079 days ago

33 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, German, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Arabic (Written), Serbo-Croatian, Indonesian, Japanese

Message 27 of 35
07 July 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Dear Brian

I am not sure if you are still interested in an answer to your questiao, but I have quite a short one: Indonesian is easy to learn. Also in comparison to e.g. French or German. I have learned it on my own for one year and for two weeks I have attended a language school in Yogyakarta and that was enough to communicate in Indonesian with all the people I have met.
I don't want to repeat all the details that already have been put forward, but in any case the pronounciation and grammar is really simple. And in contrast to other Asian languages it uses the Latin script.

The only problem is that you have learn the vocabular, which is not Indo-European. However Indonesian has adopted quite a lot of international expressions. For me as a Dutchman is was even easier because many of these words were adopted directly from the Dutch. So if you want to learn an Asian language that is spoken by many people AND easy to learn I can only advice you to try Indonesian.

Heavyweight
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4343 days ago

12 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 28 of 35
16 October 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
If you speak Bhasa Indonesian and go to Bali, will they understand you? Will the Indonesians who has Bhasa as their second language switch to it when they hear you speaking it or will they speak to you in their local dialect?

How widespread is Bhasa? If I go to, say, Sulawesi or Papua do they speak it there as well? In other words, if you want to speak to the people in Bali/Papua/Borne is it better to learn the local dialect or can you make it with only Bhasa?

Edited by Heavyweight on 16 October 2012 at 5:55pm

michi
Nonaglot
Austria
Joined 5079 days ago

33 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, German, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Arabic (Written), Serbo-Croatian, Indonesian, Japanese

Message 29 of 35
16 October 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
You certainly won't have any problem communicating with people in Indonesian (bahasa Indonesia) on Bali or any of the more developed islands. Although Indonesia is one of the countries in the world where most languages are spoken, it is Indonesian that dominates public life. Only in the first years in primary school the local language is used and from then on all education is in Indonesian only. It is the same in the media where in practice only Indonesian is used.

I have been on Java and Bali only, but there it was normal for people to speak Indonesian with outsiders. I am not sure when they speak their own language but it must be in a more private context. Even Javanese which has more that 80 million speakers and Balinese that is the mother tongue of more than 90 % of the people on Bali don't seem to play an important role in society.The only time I have heard Javanese spoken in public was in a gamelan mass in a Christian church in Yogyakarta.

Maybe it is a pity that the local languages (bahasa daerah) have lost so much ground, but it seems that Indonesians don't have any problems with accepting Indonesian as their national language. A big contrast with e.g. India where Hindi has never been really accepted by a large part of the population. One reason might be that Malay - of which Indonesian is a standarised form - has already been used as a lingua franca for centuries. Another reason is that Indonesian is an easy language and doesn't have the different social levels like Javanese or Balinese.

Although foreigners in Indonesia are quite willing to learn Indonesian, I don't think many take the effort to learn another Indonesian language. University students of Indonesian in the Netherlands are obliged to learn Javanese too. On Bali I met an Englishman who lived there and told me he wanted to learn Balinese. However I am sure he really did and I wonder if he could speak proper Indonesian.

I don't know how well people in Irian Jaya (the Indonesian part of New-Guinea)speak Indonesian, but there are hundreds of indigenous languages. So if there is any language that is useful it must be Indonesian too.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4248 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 30 of 35
19 October 2012 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
I'd also like to add that what is difficult at first becomes easier if you keep doing it.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4446 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 31 of 35
26 March 2015 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Indonesian is sociolinguistically difficult.

Owing to Javanization, it has become highly diglossic:
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/27868068?sid=211057805 07151&uid=2129&uid=4&uid=70&uid=3738200&uid=2

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/showthread.php/22145-I ndonesian-Diglossia

In order to understand spoken Indonesian (the L variant) as used in pop songs, movies and Jakarta-based soap operas (and exported to all Indonesian islands thanks to TV channels like Kompas) you'll have to learn this variant (the one language courses rarely mention).

Standard written/formal Indonesian is not the lingua franca between two Indonesians in informal situations, someone from Manado visiting their friends in Jakarta will use the informal Javanized version of Indonesian (which can, due to, TV- influence be called the generalized L variant of Indonesian)and not standard Indonesian (H) when talking to their friends in Jakarta.

Recommended reading:

James Neil Sneddon Colloquial Jakartan Indonesian (Pacific Linguistics, 581)
0858835711, 9780858835719 Pacific Linguistics/RSPAS 2006

James N. Sneddon The Indonesian Language: Its History and Role in Modern Society
0868405981, 9780868405988, 9780585484976 2003

Edited by Medulin on 26 March 2015 at 4:36am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3810 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 32 of 35
03 April 2015 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
This is my last day in Malaysia (where a Bahasa very closely related
to Indonesian is spoken), and I have been here slightly more than two weeks. About one
week before coming here I dropped my Lonely Planet language guide to Malaysian (for
reasons that can be read elsewhere) and switched to the Indonesian one, and at the
same time I bought an Indonesian-English-Indonesian dictionary and printed a lot of
pages from the internet. Since then I have been focussed on learning some kind of
Indonesian/Malaysian almost to the exclusion of other projects - so all in all this
atypical state has lasted for around three weeks now.

I will write more in my language learning log about this endeavour, but I can already
now say quite a lot about learning these languages at the elementary level. And what I
can certify is that they are exactly as easy to master at this level as I read
before I started out doing it myself. The main problem is of course the 'native'
vocabulary which bascially doesn't have anything in common with English or other
Western languages. But there are lots of loanwords, even though their spelling is
quite idiosyncratic at times (final letters tend to be chopped off - for instance a
'lif' is a "lift"), and there are derivational patterns that link many of the local
words. Morphology is almost non existant ('saya' is both "I" and "me" and "my") and
word classes are as flexible as in English, if not more. So you can get a grip on both
variants very fast. But presumably this means that all the difficult points will be in
questions of idiomatics, so you will have a hard time becoming nativelike in your use
of the simple ingredients - just as in English, which is another typically 'slippery'
language.

English and Indonesian are not AT ALL on the same level, English is absolutely,
positively NOT AT ALL like Indonesian. While English is the easiest Germanic
language, English is not just a matter of memorizing vocabulary and idioms, Indonesian
is closer to that, but I admit, were it to have a large vowel/consonant range and
tones, it would be more complex overall than something like Cambodian or Thai since
despite lacking inflection Indonesian has derivation (albeit very transparent and
watery in a way) unlike typical isolating southeast Asian language.

The difficulties of English are not just a matter of idioms as you claim,
this is some sort of equivalence fallacy that people use when they discover there are
languages that have less or no inflection than English so as to not harm their
preconception that English is the least complex due to having less
inflection than some languages. English is more complex than Indonesian, the
phonology, syntax, and derivation overall. MUCH MORE.

Edited by Stolan on 04 April 2015 at 1:53am

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version