CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 9 of 11
11 July 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
feanarosurion wrote:
What I mean is, I wonder if you can use the transcripts while watching the TV show and have a similar effect as L-R.

I find that reading a text version of subtitles while watching the video to be far more useful than reading the subtitles on the screen. That applies for subtitles in L1 for L2 audio/video, and also L2-L1 and L2-L2. Everything like that helps. It seems that reading a text version makes it much easier to sync and keep up with the video.

I assume some movies are available with both L1 and L2 audio, and L1 and/or L2 subtitles available as time-tagged transcripts. It would seem reasonably easy to use the time-tags to automatically parse the L1 and L2 audio into L1/L2 parallel audio. I've not seen such software. It wouldn't be perfect but it probably would be quite good. It would be a huge amount easier than doing it manually with an audio editor.

I'd like to try something like that but I have been unable to find any movie with Dutch and English soundtracks, with subtitle transcripts available. If anyone knows of any, I'd sure appreciate knowing about them.

1 person has voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 10 of 11
11 July 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
I think parallel audio could end up being rather confusing. The brain can't really focus on L2 properly with L1 droning in your ears as well. Especially if it's the same source. Still, parallel texts are certainly possible with this method. The time tags themselves make it perfect to sync the dialog up perfectly. Then you could use the parallel text with both sets of audio perhaps.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 11 of 11
12 July 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Just as an update on my previous experiment, there's probably no good way to use this as reverse L-R. I found my brain couldn't tune out the L1 audio to focus on the meaning on the L2 text. That's obviously why L-R is effective: the audio is what your brain tunes into, and the text just assists with the learning. However, I still think subs can be very good to import into Anki, to make parallel texts, etc.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version