United Kingdom
Joined 5933 days ago

206 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Dutch

Message 1 of 13
10 July 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Hello Everyone,
I'm really struggling to pick up Dutch listening. I've watched videos with Dutch and English subs as well as using the Teach Yourself Beginner's Dutch course in which I have the audio. However I feel I'm not developing any skill whatsoever.
Does anybody please have any tips? Or any links to Dutch listening materials such as podcasts or audiobooks?
Thanks in advance.

Mark
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5120 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 2 of 13
10 July 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I’ve noticed that developing listening skills is actually the hardest part of language learning, for me anyway. What I do with French is listening to French dubbings of a television show that I know by heart (literally). This way I can almost hear the English audio while I’m listening to the French one so I know what to expect and I’m more prepared to recognise things. I realise that hardly anything gets dubbed into Dutch (the first time that I’ve actually recognised a downside to subtitles) but you might be able to find some children’s movies that you know very well with Dutch dubbings. If you live in the UK you can probably get them delivered and if you’re not opposed to some less legal methods you could look for them online. I’ve seen entire Disney films with Dutch audio being uploaded on Youtube. I find Disney films very helpful with French because I know the stories inside out so that makes it easier to follow the dialogue.

I assembled a couple of links to sites with Dutch audio books a while back but I have it on my other computer so I’ll need to log onto that one to give them to you. This should get you started for now.

Edited by ReneeMona on 10 July 2010 at 10:54pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6313 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 13
11 July 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
polikaru wrote:
Does anybody please have any tips? Or any links to Dutch listening materials such as podcasts or audiobooks?

Yes, get "Assimil Dutch with ease", it's way better than "TY Beginners Dutch"

Btw, since you'll need more material, here are 22 complete Dutch series you can watch for free. More than 600 hours of dutch tv:
01. Spoed(80 chapters, ziekenhuisserie, in Vlaams -with subtitles)
02. Zone Stad (40, politieserie, in Vlaams -with subs)
03. Flikken Gent (30, politieserie, in Vlaams -with subs)
04. Flikken Maarstricht (48, politieserie)
05. Deadline (21, politieserie)
06. Spoorloos verdwenen (41, politieserie)
07. ONM (480, soap. This is probably the most know dutch serie ever)
08. All Stars (37, comedy)
09. Suzanne en de mannen (13, comedy)
10. De Daltons (20, jeugdserie)
11. De zomer van '45 (8, drama)
12. Ernstige delicten (31, misdaad)
13. Het Schnitzelparadijs (10, comedy)
14. Ik ben Willem (23, jeugdserie)
15. Keyzer en De Boer Advocaten (36, drama)
16. Kinder geen bezwaar (145, comedy)
17. Nachtegaal en zonen (24)
18. Unit 13 (11, politieserie)
19. Sprint! (16, drama)
20. Shouf Shouf! (70)
21. Boven wotter (12, in Groningen dialect -with subs)
22. Van jonge leu en oale groond (59, in Overijssel dialect -with subs)

My tips are: Get Assimil or a better book than TY Beginner's Dutch and start watching the first 3 series (the vlaams ones, just because they have subtitles), continue with the
other series, read books, listen to the news, etc. If you want to watch more stuff, go directly to
Uitzending gemist, and if you have any questions, just ask :)

Hope it helps.
Guido.-

PS: If you click in one of those links and they redirect you to www.uitzendinggemist.nl, click again on the same link, it should work. Sometime this happens if
www.uitzendinggemist.nl isn't open beforehand.
PS2: Some other series have the "TT888" sign (an ear), that means that they have subtitles, such as ONM . When you open the player, if the "Ab" option is available,
click on it, that will active the subtitles.

Edited by Guido on 11 July 2010 at 6:44pm

20 persons have voted this message useful

Zeitgeist21
United Kingdom
Joined 5430 days ago

156 posts - 192 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 4 of 13
12 July 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
That post is fantastic!!! That's enough material to get to basic fluency especially if you know a bit of German ;) Arghh I now feel tempted to learn to understand Dutch... but I should focus on German ... focus ... focus ... ok I'm watching Dutch tv already :D

This page is now bookmarked ^^ Thank you Guido!

polikaru
United Kingdom
Joined 5933 days ago

206 posts - 215 votes 
Studies: German, Italian, Dutch

Message 5 of 13
12 July 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much to Renee and Guido for both of your links. Thank you so much and I'm using both of them :D Thanks so much for the tips as well.
WillH i think you might as well give Dutch a go :P

Mark

Zeitgeist21
United Kingdom
Joined 5430 days ago

156 posts - 192 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 6 of 13
12 July 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Reneemona just checked out your link and it's fantastic! I haven't checked out the Dutch selection yet, but I found the audiobook to Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde in German that I looked for for ages before, but failed :/ I'm already half way through the normal book and this just makes it that much nicer and more productive to finish it =)

I'm tempted Polikaru, very tempted ^^ Even if I don't learn it now I definitely want to get to it in maybe a few months time after I've moved to Berlin. And a little bit of Dutch on the side couldn't hurt ;)

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6888 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 7 of 13
12 July 2010 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Great stuff - I'd been wondering whether there were any Dutch video + transcript sources and up pops this thread...

TannerS
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5394 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 8 of 13
13 July 2010 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
I have only been using the L-R method for three days now, so take everything I say with a
grain of salt, but I have found the results of this method quite promising. Though the
initial thread recommended that the learner devote ten hours a day to the method, I have
noticed improvements already with only five hours per day. This might seem like a lot of
time to spend, but it goes by much faster than you might think, assuming you like
literature. Indeed, I have found it quite fun! Just something to think about, though.
I know that audiobooks were already mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm just chiming in
on a possible way to use them.

Good luck and let us know how you ultimately decide to study!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version