youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5669 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 1 of 10
10 July 2010 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I noticed no one had made a Couchsurfing thread yet. Couchsurfing is a not-for-profit organization where members offer places to stay for weary travelers around the world!

http://www.couchsurfing.org

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
After free registration, members have the option of providing very detailed information and pictures of themselves and of the sleeping accommodation they offer, if any. More information provided by a member, and other members, improves the chances that someone will find the member trustworthy enough to be their host or guest. Security is often measured in the reference established by networking. Volunteers may verify names and addresses. Members looking for accommodation can search for hosts using several parameters such as age, location, gender and activity level. Homestays are entirely consensual between the host and guest, and the duration, nature, and terms of the guest's stay are generally worked out in advance to the convenience of both parties. No monetary exchange takes place except for compensation of incurred expenses (e.g. food). After using the service, members can leave a noticeable reference about their host or guest.

Free accomodation all around the world? This seems too good to be true, but it actually works. It's a great example of social capital and how the "pay it forward" theory can make a better place. It's also a great way to learn languages. I figured I would make a HTLAL group on the site to help co-ordinate between each other to offer up places to stay for those trying to learn languages. So without further ado:

Click here to join the HTLAL couchsurfing group!

Edited by Liface on 12 July 2010 at 4:42am

8 persons have voted this message useful

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5669 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 

Message 2 of 10
07 August 2010 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
We're getting bigger! 4 members so far.
1 person has voted this message useful

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5230 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 3 of 10
16 August 2010 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Wish I could be in my hometown in order to take part of this group...until five years ago I lived alone in my parents' flat....when the World Social Forum took place in Porto Alegre, I used to host foreign participants...they only pay a little amount of money so that they help me with buying food at the supermarket...I had three guests who didn't disturb me at any moment at that time.

The other nice advantage is practising another language full time during their stay.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 10
20 March 2011 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Have the members actually had guests from the forums?

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5669 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 

Message 5 of 10
20 March 2011 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Have the members actually had guests from the forums?

I wish I could. Unfortunately, my couch isn't available for surfing at the moment. But I'll definitely be looking some of you up if I find myself in any of your countries.

We're now up to 8 members!

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 10
06 April 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
I am totally signing up for this later, when I get my new apartment. I don't expect many visitors as I'm now back in the middle of Sweden, but if anyone is coming by, I'll welcome you with open arms!

Also question: What's the "expected stay"? Do people just stay for a night or two or are week-long stays also common? I like long vacations but I realize that staying with a couch surfer for a month might be a bit much.

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5282 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 7 of 10
06 April 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Also question: What's the "expected stay"? Do people just stay for a night or two or are week-long
stays also common? I like long vacations but I realize that staying with a couch surfer for a month might be a bit
much.

A night or two is the normal stay yes but can be extended by mutual consent. A week is rare but possible especially
with someone you have stayed with previously. I have hosted just one person (on my boat) - he requested just one
night but I invited him to stay two extra days. As a surfer I have stayed with someone just once (in Quebec City) for
just one night. Long vacations are possible by surfing a series of couches - my guest (a student from Germany)
spent 2 months touring the US and Canada this way.

Edited by microsnout on 06 April 2011 at 2:31pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 10
06 April 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
A friend of mine has had 3 guests, each staying about 2 to 4 days.

Incidentally, Ari, he's studying Swedish and was considering couchsurfing in Sweden...

Microsnout, couchsurfing on a boat is the most interesting couchsurfing experience I've heard!

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version