Triglot
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Latin, German

Message 1 of 9
11 July 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and was looking for somewhere to post with my question about Mandarin. For those of you who know it, is it a hard language to learn? Also, how useful is it? I'm planning on continuing my studies at university in the fall and was considering picking up Mandarin but I would like some input, if available. Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

YoshiYoshi
China
Joined 5340 days ago

143 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 2 of 9
11 July 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Mandarin is fairly easy to learn for those who dabble in it as a way of having fun, but it's hard to learn for those who want to reach an intermediate level, and it's much harder to learn for those who wish to become proficient in it, or even in written literature. So, it mainly depends on what level you plan to reach in your mind.

4 persons have voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6103 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 3 of 9
11 July 2010 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Easy to learn if you like Karaoke or historical TV dramas.

People appreciate that you make the effort and encourage you to continue your studies.

Oh, there are the issues of tones and characters. I have trouble with the tones but find the characters interesting.
Electronic dictionaries make the main difficulties of the characters less painful. Pay attention to the tones. They are
important.

Edited by jimbo on 11 July 2010 at 1:25pm

gerry
Triglot
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Latin, German

Message 4 of 9
11 July 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both for your replies. I'll keep that in mind when studying.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5136 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 5 of 9
12 July 2010 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Spoken: Fairly easy, although pronunciation is kind of hard.
Written: VERY HARD
Not that should scare you off.

maaku
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 

Message 6 of 9
12 July 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
You won't get very far at all studying Mandarin at a university in the states. If you're serious about learning the language, then pick up a copy of Heisig or TK Ann's Cracking the Chinese Puzzles and learn the written language then jump straight into native materials. All of the English-based courses out there are such dumbed down, crippling crutches that if you're not careful you'd be setting yourself up for failure... Massive exposure to native input is still the most reliable way to learn Chinese.

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5253 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Studies: French

Message 7 of 9
12 July 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm seriously considering studying Chinese Studies at university this autumn, so this thread is very interesting. More
posts would be appreciated. :)

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 8 of 9
12 July 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
maaku wrote:
You won't get very far at all studying Mandarin at a university in the states. <snip> All of the English-based courses out there are such dumbed down, crippling crutches that if you're not careful you'd be setting yourself up for failure... Massive exposure to native input is still the most reliable way to learn Chinese.

I disagree. My university instructors have been excellent - they have, admittedly, all been native Mandarin speakers, but by the end of my 2nd year in college, I could have gone to Beijing and been able to interact day-to-day. I don't disagree that the greater the exposure to native input, the better off you'll be, but I do disagree that English-language based courses set you up for failure.

To Gerry - I think that you should look around at various online resources and see if it piques your interest. Websites like ChinesePod.com and ChinesePod101.com

I really enjoyed my Mandarin studies in college, and pursued it independently after I left university and didn't have the chance to include it in my coursework anymore. :)

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version