Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 5394 days ago

34 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Esperanto, Latin

Message 1 of 10
11 July 2010 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Hello everybody,

at the moment i am focussing on the "text-learning-method".
I've read about positive aspects of this method on the internet.
So what do you think? Is there someone who uses this method?
I've just started once again with Italian. At the moment, I can
recite two short texts by heart. My goal is to know about 50 short texts.

3 persons have voted this message useful

ibraheem
Groupie
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin

Message 2 of 10
12 July 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I wonder if people who have memorized Latin hymns or Arabic surahs would have an easier time learning the language.

Edited by ibraheem on 12 July 2010 at 1:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5068 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 3 of 10
12 July 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
ibraheem wrote:
I wonder if people who have memorized Latin hymns or Arabic surahs would have an easier time learning the language.

Well Even if one were to memorize The entire Qur'an they may not realize that in Arabic there's different meanings to different words depending on context. Also there's no real equivalent to Is. However, The way old scholars used to learn languages was by reading a bible in the target language because they memorized the bible in their own language and was a way to learn the language or at least the basics could no doubt be achieved but I just don't see how one could grasp a language fully this way but I suppose its possible. So Furthermore, it would help a little if one memorized the actual Arabic in the Qur'an and understood its meaning but then again it would just be another way of learning the language.

Edited by CaucusWolf on 12 July 2010 at 2:42am

Enki
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5629 days ago

54 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written), English*, French, Korean
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 10
12 July 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
I'd say that memorizing texts using elaboration strategies (for example, breaking down the sentence into the "who" "what" "when" "where" and "why"; or connecting the phrase with other ideas or with how your native language does it, ect.) is probably one of the most useful ways of getting a feel for the language.

Many people can skim texts for understanding but not actually be able to reproduce the phrases and sentences that they read. That's fine for my native language, but I feel that I need to understand both content and form of the target language I'm learning. Memorizing makes sure I get that understanding.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5465 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 10
12 July 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
iaf wrote:
Hello everybody,

at the moment i am focussing on the "text-learning-method".
I've read about positive aspects of this method on the internet.
So what do you think? Is there someone who uses this method?
I've just started once again with Italian. At the moment, I can
recite two short texts by heart. My goal is to know about 50 short texts.

Some people (including me) have done this with Assimil courses. Study each lesson repeatedly (both reading and listening) until you remember it. The course book actually tells you it is not necessary to do this, but several people have reported it being useful. One thing I found is that it does flood your brain with the sounds of the language, so that they are still there floating around when you put the book and CDs away.

I do think Assimil is a good candidate for this, because the texts start off easy and build up their complexity, so that not only are you able to recite them, but also (importantly) to understand and absorb them. Since each course has about 100 lessons, there is enough material in there for many months of memorisation.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 6 of 10
12 July 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
It worked for Heinrich Schliemann who claims he was able to memorize 20 pages of text after having read them three times. He writes in his English autobiography:

Quote:

I applied myself with extraordinary diligence to the study of English. Necessity taught me a method which greatly facilitates the study of a language. This method consists in reading a great deal aloud, without making a translation, taking a lesson every day, constantly writing essays upon subjects of interest, correcting these under the supervision of a teacher, learning them by heart, and repeating in the next lesson what was corrected on the previous day. My memory was bad, since from my childhood it had not been exercised upon any object ; but I made use of every moment, and even stole time for study.
In order to acquire a good pronunciation quickly, I went twice every Sunday to tho English church, and repeated to myself in a low voice every word of the clergyman's sermon. 1 never went on my errands, even in tho rain, without having my book in my hand and learning something hy heart ; and I never waited at the post-office without reading. By such methods I gradually strengthened my memory, and in three months' time found no difficulty in reciting from memory to my teacher, Mr. Taylor, in each day's lesson, word by word, twenty printed pages, after having read them over three times attentively.

In Schliemann's time, rote memorization was pretty much de rigeur. But nowadays only actors have to memorize large amounts of text. I looked into this and found a couple of web sites with memorization tips for actors, but most of them either only deal with making rote memorization easier or mention common memory techniques such as links, peg words, memory palaces etc. That's why I didn't pursue this any further.   

It would be very helpful if anybody who actually does memorize texts in foreign languages could post their tricks.

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6235 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 7 of 10
12 July 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
I think it's wrong to learn texts off by heart, if learning off by heart is your goal. I know a lot of German off by heart, but from repeated listening to Reinhard Mey's songs, not because I set out to. There is a difference.

Furthermore, I think it's better to learn sample sentences. For example, "I heard that something happened" can easily be transformed into "I heard the cat died" etc. That's beneficial I think.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6564 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 8 of 10
12 July 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
I think that if nothing else, memorizing entire texts would profoundly increase one's memorization skills.

However, as with Doitsujin, the first thing I thought of was Schliemann and his amazing polyglot skills. He would
sometimes write in Ancient Greek, and if anyone challenged his grammar, he could quote from memory a Greek
source that used the same sentence structure.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version