tracker465
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 5
12 July 2010 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of verb + preposition idioms in German, such as suchen nach (search for)? As with many who study foreign languages, these preposition usages drive me crazy, as they cause many of my German grammar problems.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 5
12 July 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
These are not idioms but rather regular use of the verbs. Every verb should be learned
with its usage pattern. A good dictionary will tell you what it is, and you can also look
up sample sentences through the Tatoeba Project or Google.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 5
12 July 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
First of all, thank you for the information about the Tatoeba Project. I was not aware of that.

I have several German dictionaries, but they rarely seem to provide me with the correct prepositions needed. When I had studied in Germany, I had actually received a typed chart of about 50 or 60 common verbs plus the correct prepositions, so I was just hoping that maybe someone knew of a more comprehensive source of a similar nature. When I am writing, I primarily use Leo Dictionary but even then I still manage to get the usage wrong on a few verbs/prepositions. Will keep looking for a list.

LangOfChildren
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5222 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 4 of 5
12 July 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Maybe this could be helpful. There are certainly many more verb + prepostion cases, but it's a good start.

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6234 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 5 of 5
12 July 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
dict.leo.org normally shows the correct preposition, but you mention that.

Anyway, I agree with Sprachprofi. You have to learn these things in context, it's a waste of time trying to learn verbs from a list, because the actual usage can not normally be summed up in concise English.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version