France
Joined 5048 days ago

11 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German, Mandarin, Polish

Message 1 of 16
12 July 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone!

As most of you here, iam really addicted to languages, to such an extent that instead of focusing on those i already know( well, more or less to be honest) i keep being tempted by adding some more to my list.
I mean, English seems to be the only language i can really have a long conversation in. When it comes to Spanish, i understand it very well but i can't call myself fluent in this language. I do know some Portuguese, Italian and Russian but they still need to be brushed up.
Iam a beginner in both German and Chinese so i should concentrate on them but sometimes temptation is just too high. I even borrowed some methods to learn both Turkish and Swedish before i realized it was pure madness.
What do you think i should do? I do feel frustrated. How do you guys deal with that?
Are there any nerds like me? People who still need to learn new languages whereas they have not finished those they have already started?
Thanks for reading:)

Edited by Flip_flop on 12 July 2010 at 1:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5240 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 16
12 July 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Haha, I know how you feel. We start one and then want to learn another simultaneously. C'est la via. :D In school I
started learning a new language very often (so much so that my German and Irish suffered). People would ask me
''so what language are you learning this week?''.
This summer, I planned on learning French, Spanish and Esperanto while further improving my German (for
university). Now I'm just focussing on Esperanto, with a little German, so my brain doesn't explode. :D I want to
progress in each language quite a lot before moving on to the next one (sort of chain method, as one member here
described it).

Bonne chance!
Brian, Irlande
1 person has voted this message useful

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5070 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 3 of 16
12 July 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Flip_flop wrote:
What do you think i should do? I do feel frustrated. How do you guys deal with that?
Are there any nerds like me? People who still need to learn new languages whereas they have not finished those they have already started?
Thanks for reading:)

Would you be satisfied with only a very basic knowledge of a language? Aren't you tempted to be able to read longer texts and watch movies in the target language? You will never "have finished" a language, but you can get to a level (at least like your Spanish), where it will be much easier to free your mind and concentrate on a new language.

How do you find German and Swedish? Do they appear similar for you?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 16
12 July 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
After reading the book "Refuse to choose" by Barbara Sher, which I believe would be
perfect for most forum members, I was able to convince myself to stick with two focus
languages every quarter, doing only maintenance on the other languages and not adding
any new ones. For people like me who are constantly in danger of wanderlust, the key is
to make a plan that schedules your projects. E. g.

January-March: French, Chinese
April-June: French, Greek
July-September: Italian, Arabic
October-December: Arabic, Swahili
2011: Swahili2, Spanish, Russian, Maori?
2012: Portuguese, Navajo or Cherokee, Dutch?

Knowing that I'd be able to start on Arabic in July, I successfully avoided studying
any in January to June. (One problem I do have that I keep wanting to do more Chinese
because it was so much fun, but there are worse problems to have.) More hours dedicated
to one language per week means that you'll spend more time on actual studying and less
time on revising everything that you forgot since you last studied
the language. I'm making much better progress now, and I also found something
surprising: I actually spend more time on studying languages than I did before.
Somehow, knowing exactly which language I should study now makes it easier to squeeze
in more hours! Those hours are probably deducted from the time I'm deciding what to do
(not just which language but which activity), or trying to find my materials again. ;-)

I would do just one focus language, sometimes I really want to go that extra mile on
one of the two focus languages, but I chose my focus languages in such a way that I
have one comparatively advanced one, for which I mostly need exposure time, and one
beginning one, for which I'm studying textbooks or vocabulary or the like. So actually
I could not expect to use all the time for one language - there are times of the day
when I couldn't study a textbook but I could do some target-language reading. At other
times I feel like some "hard work" or I need to feel the progress, so studying a
textbook or studying Anki is a lot more satisfying than simply reading or listening to
a language. So this distribution suits my changing state of mind.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 12 July 2010 at 5:24pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5143 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 5 of 16
12 July 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
After reading the book "Refuse to choose" by Barbara Sher, which I
believe would be
perfect for most forum members, I was able to convince myself to stick with two focus
languages every quarter, doing only maintenance on the other languages and not adding
any new ones. For people like me who are constantly in danger of wanderlust, the key is
to make a plan that schedules your projects. E. g.

When you say maintenance, what do you do for that? I'm just curious as I'm trying to do
some maintenance right now, but have to focus on Albanian for work. I try to read some
Spanish at least once or twice a week. I mean to do more but it doesn't happen!

And I definitely have the same problem with spreading myself thinly when it comes to
languages. I finally decided that I'm not happy being 25 and only very confident in 2
languages, I need to concentrate on one or face being mediocre forever.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 16
12 July 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
"Maintenance" depends on the language. For German, English and Esperanto I don't
currently need to do anything because they're a regular part of my life anyway, talking
to the people I surround myself with, reading books or websites, participating in
forums and so on. Latin also is not going out of use anytime soon because I teach
classes regularly on Edufire, including a class reading Latin literature, so I don't
have the chance to lose that ability.

French is trickier as I lost the passion for it and have to bring myself to at least
read stuff, ideally I should also write more. Italian is in total disuse, no
maintenance there, I need a reboot. But what I mean for example is that I'm still on a
schedule for one hour of Chinese classes with a tutor every week and I also don't
neglect my Anki repetitions. For Greek, which has only just gone out of focus, my
maintenance is to complete the rest of the Assimil active wave and to keep reading
Harry Potter in Greek. I'm looking at approximately 2 hours per week per language for
maintenance, though sometimes it's less and sometimes, when I'm inspired, it can be a
lot more. I found that at one hour per week or less a language is definitely falling
into disuse, at two hours a week it's progressing quite slowly, but that's what I have
to accept if I want to progress quickly in my other languages.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 12 July 2010 at 8:38pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5243 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 7 of 16
12 July 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
When I was younger, I went through a period where I bought and leafed through just about every language book I came across. I didn't really learn many languages, but I formed a lot of impressions of different languages. Eventually, I settled on a core of five or six languages - those that came the easiest or held my attention the longest. While I have a bit of wanderlust and still study other languages, my attention is much more focused now, I think in large measure because I've had a chance to decide which languages really appeal to me, rather than simply sticking with the first four or five that came into my life.

If you have specific goals or plans for your languages, of course you need to narrow things down and form a plan. But if you just love languages and you have some time before you have to put your knowledge to use, I wouldn't worry about just "dating" languages. In time, the thrill of tackling new languages will dissipate on its own and the reward of digging deeper into those languages you've stuck with will become greater. It's just the natural progression of things.

Unless someone is paying you money to do this, it's for your own growth and enjoyment. So do what feels right for you.

dolly
United States
Joined 5586 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 8 of 16
12 July 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
I am so glad that my first (and probably only) L2 was easy for me to choose and easy to stick with. But the other languages! Oh my, every time I listen to Turkish music I want to study the language, it just pulls me in... and Swedish sounds extremely cool... Persian for the poetry... or Bengali for the poetry... I just can't pick one, and there's no way I'm gonna pick them all.

If I had been like this when I was choosing my first L2 I'd be monolingual to this day.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version