Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 1 of 9
13 July 2010 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
My language choice for NEXT year (If I can resist the wanderlust haha!). I'm just
starting to get my materials together. I'm not going to pursue the language super
aggressively. My Passions lie with my natives languages, French and Russian.

But I would LOVE to add a non Indo-European language to the mix and Turkish seemed a
logical Choice (that I find to sound pleasant). I'm not looking for a high level this
time around maybe around 2000 words max (really depends what one get from both FSI and
TY in terms of vocab).

1)Pimsleur Comprehensive I
2)Linguaphone PDQ
3a)Teach Yourself Complete
3b)DLI Headstart & FAST
4)FSI Basic(6+Months Including the Graded Reader)

That should be somewhere around B1(?) more than enough to make me happy. Okay so I
won't really "Learn" the Language. However recent a nice conversational level would be
awesome.

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 31 July 2010 at 4:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6893 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 9
13 July 2010 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Have you thought about using Assimil's Le Turc sans Peine - French-based but if you've finished with all the French resources you're going through by then, I can't see it being a problem.
2 persons have voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 3 of 9
14 July 2010 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Oh yes I've considered it extensively actually. I love the Assimil books, and after
finishing the 2nd Volume of French as well as Business French. I'm sure I could handle a
French base course. I am just not sure to what level I ultimately want to pursue the
language. I'd love to hear commentary from those who have already used Turc Sans Peine.
I have enough material for now though.

dizzycloud
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6388 days ago

88 posts - 109 votes 
Studies: Turkish

Message 4 of 9
15 July 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi LatinoBoy,

I am currently using Le Turc Sans Peine and I have to say it's a very extensive and intensive book, though I am enjoying it a lot. You say you've used Assimil before so I'm sure you know what they're like, but for the Turkish one I can certainly recommend it :)

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 5 of 9
16 July 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
dizzycloud thank you for the heads up. I started estimating the count of vocab in each
of the courses.

Pimsleur Level I=No Idea 250?
Linguaphone PDQ about 350+ words,
HeadStart just short of 500 words,
Teach Yourself has about 1100...

Finally the FSI Basic course this one was shocking to me once I estimated the total
vocab, FSI I-III about 3500 words...wow. I think I'll stop at FSI II (2500 words). Once
must consider the overlap of course but between these course one could probably squeeze
out a nice vocab of 3700 words?

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 16 July 2010 at 5:03am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dizzycloud
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6388 days ago

88 posts - 109 votes 
Studies: Turkish

Message 6 of 9
17 July 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
That sounds good, although bear in mind that people on these forums have mentioned that the FSI course contains a lot of outdated vocabulary seeing as it is an old course (from the 80s or something I think), so maybe it's better to stick to the other resources first for vocab? That's my plan anyway!

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5062 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 7 of 9
17 July 2010 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
dizzycloud wrote:
That sounds good, although bear in mind that people on these forums have mentioned that the FSI course contains a lot of outdated vocabulary seeing as it is an old course (from the 80s or something I think), so maybe it's better to stick to the other resources first for vocab? That's my plan anyway!

FSI isn't "obsolete" it's just that the topics included in it are outdated for example places and leaders are different now from 30 years ago. In the MWA course one of the countries you learn is United Arab Republic which is non existent now but other then things like this and leaders who're long gone now the vocab hasn't changed.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 8 of 9
17 July 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
dizzycloud wrote:
That sounds good, although bear in mind that people on these forums
have mentioned that the FSI course contains a lot of outdated vocabulary seeing as it
is an old course (from the 80s or something I think), so maybe it's better to stick to
the other resources first for vocab? That's my plan anyway!

This might sound crazy...but I think that learning slightly outdated vocab from
FSI is actually better than learning from a more contemporary source. Reason being that
the Arabic and Persian words will A)Still be understood in Turkey and B) Are still
commonly used by other Turkic languages, thus increasing one's ability to communicate
with speakers of say Turkman, Azeri and Uzbek. The first two are intelligible with
"standard" Turkish if I am not mistaken. The distance between them being similar to
those of Brazilian and European Portuguese, based on what I've read.      

CaucusWolf wrote:

FSI isn't "obsolete" it's just that the topics included in it are outdated for example
places and leaders are different now from 30 years ago. In the MWA course one of the
countries you learn is United Arab Republic which is non existent now but other then
things like this and leaders who're long gone now the vocab hasn't changed.

Exactly there are a few threads that discuss this in detail. Besides I will be using
FSI Basic after Pimsluer, PDQ and TYS thus my initial exposure and structure will come
from much more contemporary sources. FSI will serve to reinforce and expand my
vocabulary.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version