United Kingdom
Joined 6661 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 5
13 July 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I have a strategy

1) Read a French novel, circle words in pencil I don't recognise
2) Check it in a lexical frequency dictionary, if its in top 5000, I find 5 sample sentences from the web containing the word and put it into ANKI

How does this sound? Also, what should I do about the words that aren't in the top 5000? Just do 3 example sentences?
1 person has voted this message useful

Javi
Spain
Joined 5777 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 2 of 5
13 July 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
That seems like a slight variation of the sentences method. It may suit some people, but
I wouldn't really go for it. I prefer to learn a sense/meaning/usage at a time, so I
wouldn't bother finding those 5 or 3 extra sentences. I don't use frequency dictionaries
either. And why should it be Anki? There are lots of SRS programs out there.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 3 of 5
14 July 2010 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I think that's a pretty good strategy, I just wouldn't use a frequency list myself. In my opinion, if I've come across the word, then I'm probably going to have use for it, whether it's frequent or not, so I might as well find as many sentences as possible. By the same token, I don't really care how many sentences I find. I like to find at least 5, but I don't care how many I actually get. If I get 20, then that works for me, because then I get exposure to other words in those sentences as well, and it all just keeps on piling on and it's all more efficient that way I think. Just some thoughts. If you've got an organization strategy that works for you, great, go for it! Sounds good to me!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 5
14 July 2010 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
feanarosurion wrote:
I think that's a pretty good strategy, I just wouldn't use a frequency list myself. In my opinion, if I've come across the word, then I'm probably going to have use for it, whether it's frequent or not, so I might as well find as many sentences as possible. By the same token, I don't really care how many sentences I find. I like to find at least 5, but I don't care how many I actually get. If I get 20, then that works for me, because then I get exposure to other words in those sentences as well, and it all just keeps on piling on and it's all more efficient that way I think. Just some thoughts. If you've got an organization strategy that works for you, great, go for it! Sounds good to me!

When I was a beginner in Italian, I tried that strategy. One page into a novel, I had a large list of nautical terms written down, many of which I didn't know in English, and have never had cause to use in my life, before or after.

Frequency really is important at the beginning. Whether a word is top-5000 or just seems to pop up often is secondary, but going for every word in real texts when you generally still have several unknown words a page or more is very counterproductive.

3 persons have voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 5 of 5
14 July 2010 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
feanarosurion wrote:

When I was a beginner in Italian, I tried that strategy. One page into a novel, I had a large list of nautical terms written down, many of which I didn't know in English, and have never had cause to use in my life, before or after.

Frequency really is important at the beginning. Whether a word is top-5000 or just seems to pop up often is secondary, but going for every word in real texts when you generally still have several unknown words a page or more is very counterproductive.

Hmm, that's true I guess. But I'm also assuming at a beginner stage that the average learner will be using fairly easy texts that don't really go into infrequent words all that often. Then when the learner becomes more advanced, they get into texts with more infrequent words. I think everything's important though, regardless of frequency. I'm definitely a global learner though, so other learners will likely have a different view. Either way, I don't really mind if I'm ever going to use a word again, I still want to learn it just in case. Maybe a little further down the road though I guess.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version