feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5080 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 1 of 10
13 July 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of a good Finnish dictionary with example sentences for each word? Online, software, or hard copy? sanakirja.org includes example sentences for some words but not all, as does wiktionary, but I haven't found anything that definitely includes examples for each word. I'm looking for this for sentence mining purposes, so that I can gather sentences for every word to see how it's used outside of the context where I initially came across the word. It's just very hit and miss with some words, especially some relatively difficult ones, and I'd like a reference point other than the English meaning. Thanks for any assistance.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 10
13 July 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
The best one that I've seen is Gummerus' big English-Finnish dictionary:

"Suuri englanti-suomi-sanakirja". Jyväskylä: Gummerus Kustannus, 2005, ISBN-13 978-9512067218, 1382 pp., 70,000 entries, 10,000 idioms.

It doesn't have example sentences for every word or its senses but for quite a lot of them there's at least one example sentence per sense thus helping you pick the most suitable translation.

It normally costs around 75 Euros but if possible try to get someone in Finland to get it for you from www.verkkokirjakauppa.com (part of the bookstore www.info.fi). When I visited the store in Savonlinna not long ago, it was selling copies of it at 16.90 Euros for some reason. Obviously I couldn't resist even though it made packing my luggage more difficult with all of the other stuff that I had picked up.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5080 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 3 of 10
14 July 2010 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestion! Now that I have a title and an ISBN I can run with it. A friend of mine is visiting Finland fairly soon and might be able to pick it up. If there's another good one like it, I wouldn't mind having two to be honest. Thanks again Chung!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 4 of 10
14 July 2010 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
No problem.

If I were you I would also look at what else Gummerus and WSOY offer for dictionaries and maybe even prepare a small wish-list for your friend (within reason of course! Most Finnish dictionaries are hardcover and when stuffed in luggage they don't have as much "give" as paperback ones). While browsing at Akateeminen Kirjakauppa I recall seeing some more specialized dictionaries from Gummerus such as a dictionary of English phrasal verbs for Finns or another of English idioms for Finns. Perhaps these would interest you as well. The largest drawback is that the books are rather expensive once you account for the exchange rate (it's about $1.30 Cdn. to 1 Euro as of now). I would have bought more books if my luggage allowances had been greater!

Another thing: try to get the at least one book from Mauri Kunnas' series "Koiramäki" in Finnish (the series has been translated into English, French, German, Swedish and Russian). "Koiramäki" is a series of children's picture books that cost about 20 Euros apiece but are looked upon favourably by adults too. On the recommendation of one of my friends I got a copy of "Koirien Kalevala" as a gentle and humourous introduction to the Kalevala. I'm sure that it'll make for light-hearted reading practice of Finnish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5080 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 5 of 10
14 July 2010 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
Huh alright thanks again! What I'm really looking for now is a Finnish-English-Finnish dictionary that goes both ways, or just a Finnish-English dictionary. I don't really look up English words very often to find a Finnish word. I just look up the Finnish words that I come across. I actually wouldn't mind a basic Finnish dictionary meant for Finns. Entirely in Finnish, with Finnish examples, etc. That would actually be perfect. I can find English definitions fine on the internet, so as long as it has example sentences in Finnish, I don't really care if the dictionary I purchase includes English definitions. I'll be sure to check out that Koiramäki series though. Koirien Kalevala would be particularly interesting I think. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 6 of 10
14 July 2010 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
If you're that comfortable with Finnish, then I'd recommend the following:

Nurmi, Timo. "Suomen sanakirja opiskelijoille ja ulkomaalaisille Finnish Dictionary for Students and Foreign Learners." Jyväskylä, Gummerus Kustannus, 2009. ISBN-13 978-9512081257, 17,000 headwords (it's predominantly in Finnish and each headword has a few example sentences along with explicit indication of inflections. Retail price is about 30 to 40 Euros)

Jarva, Vesa & Nurmi, Timo. "Oikeeta suomee Suomen puhekielen sanakirja. Dictionary of Spoken Finnish" Jyväskylä, Gummerus Kustannus, 2009. ISBN-13: 978-9512081264 (interesting but useful dictionary of 7,000 headwords that's predominantly in Finnish. Each headword has a few example sentences with just a basic translation of the headword's sense into English (i.e. no translation of the Finnish sentence). Retail price is about 30 Euros)

Both dictionaries are rather small and should be easy to pack into carry-on luggage.

Onnea!
2 persons have voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5080 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 7 of 10
14 July 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Oh, both of those sound perfect, paljon kiitoksia! Are they available at Akateeminen Kirjakauppa at Stockmann's, or can they be ordered online? Either way, these sound great, thanks very much for your help Chung I really appreciate it!

EDIT:

I found the first one on the Akateeminen website, but I can't figure out how to input my ordering information. Namely, I can't figure out the difference between "postinumero" and "postitoimipaikka," plus, I don't know specifically where to indicate what city I'm from. Maybe that's "postitoimipaikka," theoretically, but I'm not completely sure.

Edited by feanarosurion on 14 July 2010 at 8:06pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 8 of 10
14 July 2010 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Both dictionaries are available at Akateeminen Kirjakauppa and Suomalainen Kirjakauppa on-line or in-store (especially if the stores are in the larger cities. The locations in Turku and downtown Helsinki had them in stock when I visited them. In Savonlinna, there's Suomalainen (among other bookshops) but I saw neither dictionary on the shelf there).

When you order from Akateeminen, select "English" in the top right corner and all of the fields should come in English. Whenever I buy from a foreign bookshop's webpage, I often do the transaction in English just to minimize the chance of my misunderstanding something when ordering.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version