Joined 5654 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 9 of 14
17 July 2010 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
sapien wrote:
Wow, his German sounds native to me. The Dutch segment is a little harder to assess since it is a string of provocations, but it could be native as well. His Bavarian/Austrian accent sounds reasonably accurate. No surprise that he grew up in those countries.
He says in one of his videos that he is German and moved to the Netherlands around 5 years old, which is where he learned to imitate accents (from foreign films). He later moved to Scotland.

This is correct. J1J8 is German and has lived in Den Haag, as well as Scotland. I recommend subscribing to him, his videos are pretty funny. I've asked him and apparently he speaks German at home with his family.

Edited by Liface on 17 July 2010 at 5:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6664 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 10 of 14
20 July 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Very inspiring, although since he's lived in the environments it's a little different. His American is very good, but not quite native, though.

It inspired me to work on my colloquial language skills, though.

KCor
Groupie
United States
Joined 4804 days ago

50 posts - 72 votes 

Message 11 of 14
24 July 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
Very inspiring, although since he's lived in the environments it's a
little different. His American is very good, but not quite native, though.

It inspired me to work on my colloquial language skills, though.

Not trying to knock him, but his American sounds very exaggerated and a bit stupid to me.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6664 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 12 of 14
24 July 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
I forgot about this video, hehe.

Listening to it again, I agree with you it does sound exaggerated, but I still thought it was good because in all of those samples he was trying to do a particular dialect or accent rather than the general "national" (so to speak) one. So I said that because I can easily imagine people speaking like that. I would think they sounded a bit silly, but not necessarily non-native, which is what I based my judgement on.

That said it didn't sound 100% perfect, but still very good.

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5022 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 13 of 14
26 July 2011 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
He's clearly got a very good ear for languages, but he is a multilingual individual, not a polyglot. I listen to him and I think how lucky he is to have grown up in those circumstances and I wish that I had his talent. But, I don't admire him for his achievements the way I admire hard working polyglots.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
27 July 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
Well, some people are lucky to learn a few languages as children, and working hard is definitely admirable in itself. But the net result is a person who knows a fair number of languages, and then it is less important where they came from. At least that's my position.

Funny guy, by the way, and an amazing talent for picking up dialects.

Edited by Iversen on 27 July 2011 at 2:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version