52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6010 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 33 of 52
17 September 2010 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Mi Ujsag Benny?!?!?!?!
1 person has voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5414 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 34 of 52
17 September 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Sorry for the lack of updates :) I tend to be more detailed in my e-mail list about minor progress reports.

However, I did mention (on Facebook page/twitter) that I consider myself to have reached another milestone as of this week: I can "get by confidently". While this is notoriously hard to define precisely, it is the best short description I can give. I have the base words I need to express myself and my understanding of grammar helps me form complex sentences.

However, I am still lacking in lots of key words that will help me genuinely CONVERSE. What I can do now when I meet a Hungarian for the first time is tell them a bit about myself and ask them what they do and make a little chit-chat and tell a quick story to keep their interest/attention. They are always very impressed with what I have achieved thus far, but (as Stu Jay also says), the way you know you have REALLY made it in a language is when they DON'T compliment you (and you are just having a natural conversation). Using lots of imagination I was out again with some young students just the other day and was an active part of conversations for the entire night.

However, this is not "conversational" as I'm relying too much on my extrapolation hacks and some work-arounds that have helped me "seem" to speak better, and using a small amount of vocabulary over again. To be able to have a genuine non-superficial chat with someone I will need to focus and learn the missing vocabulary. The hardest part of this mission was nothing about the language itself but my own laziness to study the missing words.

Luckily I still have (just under) four weeks left and plan to push myself to reach my target. I have already found someone who said they would be happy to do a video interview with me in Hungarian, and I have another idea for a different video I'd like to share on my blog that I will attempt to explain in Hungarian (that explanation won't prove that I'm conversational, since I will prepare it in advance, but it will at least give people a taste of how I'm speaking - the interview will be spontaneous and hopefully good enough to show what I have achieved).

As for non-speaking; I'm writing a lot in Facebook chat in Hungarian - people I hang out with a lot have added me and I block everyone but Hungarians in chat in Facebook. Then I use pidgin chat program to access Facebook chat, so it is an entirely productive activity (no idle chit-chat in other languages, no time wasted commenting on photos etc.) Facebook can be a huge help in learning languages when you use it right!

Hope that update helps :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6010 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 35 of 52
17 September 2010 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:

However, this is not "conversational" as I'm relying too much on my extrapolation hacks and some work-arounds
that have helped me "seem" to speak better, and using a small amount of vocabulary over again.

Hope that update helps :)

Nagyszeru!! Would you be willing to share some of your "work-arounds" ??

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5366 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 36 of 52
18 September 2010 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Just read his website for the work arounds..
Conversational Hungarian in 3 months is definitely doable. I've been leading a similar
lifestyle for a few years now, in Spain, Mexico and Indonesia. Will do Russia and Russian
for the next 3 months. Obviously my Russian will be nowhere near fluent, but I'll speak
the words I know with fluency, which is what it's all about.
Where will you go after Hungary? Do you ever stay in a place for MORE than 3 months?

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5414 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language

Message 37 of 52
18 September 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
@Liddy I explain it great detail in the Language Hacking Guide (actually that's a huge amount of the content considering I tell people to speak from Day One!), but people can get a very good idea how I apply it by reading this post:
http://www.fluentin3months.com/first-week-no-english/

@Berta I actually just wrote a post on the blog about a way people can find out what my next mission is (and get several postcards in the process!) I also included the text above for those who wanted an update on the Hungarian mission.

In the post I answer your question: 3 months is a good figure, but I don't stick to it religiously. I was actually in Berlin for FOUR months, but will be here in Budapest for just over TWO months. My Oct-Dec destination will be a two month long one, since I will be home in Ireland for Christmas.

I lived in Spain for a year and a half and in France for a year, but since my blog is quite popular for the moment I might go with the approximate three month figure just while I have the energy for it, and settle down or change pace some time later.

Good luck with your Russian!
2 persons have voted this message useful

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5366 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 38 of 52
18 September 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I've already seen your blog post, I didn't quite get it though... You want people
to sign up and suggest places and languages for you?

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5414 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 

Message 39 of 52
19 September 2010 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
I thought it was pretty clear that the sign-up is to get information about a place I have already decided I am going to. I don't take suggestions, I have my own reasons to pick particular destinations ;)

For example, I picked Budapest because I heard it was a beautiful city, I enjoyed the company of Hungarians I had met in previous travels and I thought the language itself could be interesting. People keep suggesting languages to me with reasons that don't concern me at all like number of speakers (when I'm in the country, EVERYONE speaks the language...), GDP of the country, profitability of the language, how hard it would be etc.

Anyway, for people not on that list I'll e-mail the answer to the newsletter in about two weeks!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6010 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 40 of 52
20 September 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=irishpolyglot] @Liddy I explain it great detail in the Language Hacking Guide (actually that's a huge amount of the content considering I tell people to speak from Day One!), but people can get a very good idea how I apply it by reading this post:
http://www.fluentin3months.com/first-week-no-english/
QUOTE]

Aha!...yes that helps. I need to re-read your guide as well!!

I vote for Turkish for your next language! You will see many similarities between Hungarian and Turkish!!

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version