Diglot
United States
Joined 5057 days ago

32 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 27
30 July 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
I find myself to be more open and outgoing in German. I can easily talk about anything without feeling akward, whereas I usually keep to myself when it comes to English.
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 27
27 August 2010 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
When I'm speaking French with other non-French people, or a group that's a mixture of native and non-native speakers such as at the French meetup group in my city, I feel very open and comfortable, sometimes more so than in English. However when I'm actually in France I'm more worried about making mistakes and incorrect pronunciation, and that makes me very shy and I end up mumbling or talking quickly to "hide" any possible mistake. In my experience, speaking with the French in France is a lot more difficult than with other learners or French people who're used to foreigners so can understand despite poor pronunciation. Which causes a bit of a vicious circle...

I had a similar but stronger effect when I was in Italy recently. I learnt a fair bit basic Italian beforehand, but when I was there I was afraid to actually use it and I just let the natives I was with do all the work. Again, not very useful for learning, and looking back I'm a bit annoyed at myself for missing out on a great opportunity for learning in an immersed environment.

Edited by garyb on 27 August 2010 at 12:36am

2 persons have voted this message useful

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5396 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 19 of 27
27 August 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
When I speak my native Norwegian I am who I was growing up. I swear a lot more too.
Speaking English is my favorite personality, this feels more like my native language.
Speaking Spanish is fun, also with a lot of swear words.
German, don't know as I never really spoke it.
Indonesian makes me act polite as there are not too many swear words and my personality
becomes more like that of an Indonesian Muslim.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 20 of 27
03 March 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
This topic reminds me how sometimes things are easier to discuss in foreign languages than they are in our own. I have heard stories of Holocaust survivors who could not talk about what they had experienced int heir own languages, but who would talk about it in English (or French, etc.). It was because, for them, the different language made a barrier between them and the true depth of the atrocities they experienced.

I found that interesting and wanted to share.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4892 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 21 of 27
10 May 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I've never realised something like that.

I think the reason is that when you're speaking your second language, you can make
mistakes, say sorry for mispronounced words, bad grammar, and you can pretend you don't
understand what the native speaker is saying (if it is not a good thing). But when you're
speaking your native language, it is the language that everyone you know since you were a
child would understand, that's the difference. I can be mistaken, but that is what I
think.

Edited by Matheus on 10 May 2011 at 11:10pm

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6363 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 22 of 27
10 May 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
There are different things going on here:

- depth of vocabulary
- foreign language as an emotional barrier
- personality and language

A couple of observations, first personally, my voice, attitude and even facial expressions change in my 3 core languages. My daughters find that I'm more French in German which amuses or frustrates them.

It's known that certain words have very specific function like swear words and Tourette's -- the association of these strong and innappropriate words does not necessarily occur in a second language (personal observation during college with a TS teacher)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 23 of 27
12 May 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
I like the explanation of it being an extreme version of how you act differently when you are in front of different people.

The only reason I feel I act a bit different in front of foreigner friends, or when I speak a different language, than I would 'normally' do is precisely the language barrier. Accordingly, as I gain proficiency or that barrier is made less relevant because I get more familiar with other people's ways, that 'acting different' fades away (or perhaps gets more subconscious).

Other than that, I'm quite sure I am pretty much the same guy no matter what language I speak: in the end I always I engage in the same type of arguments with, or try to avoid the same kinds of people, etc. :) Or, it might be that I try and find those who are more similar to me in every new community from the beginning, and there's an interim until I finally do so.

Interestingly, someone mentioned some Spanish swear word(s) that sounded completely alien to me because I thought he was referring to how they are used in another Spanish-speaking country, and they felt different and innocuous. OTOH some English swear words which I would never use because I think they'd sound pretty bland scandalized me when I heard them from a native. So I guess your perspective on those can change over time, too.

Edited by mrwarper on 12 May 2011 at 4:42pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4679 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 24 of 27
02 August 2011 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Wow, it's so interesting to read that others are experiencing the same thing! In my native German I don't really speak much, except with close friends. Actually, I sometimes have difficulty speaking to a bigger group of people or people I don't know well.
It's like I'm a different person in English. I'm far more outgoing and say lots of silly things that I wouldn't say in German.
Speaking Korean is still new for me, but I think I'm developing a more Korean personality for that as well. I feel like it's natural to bow when saying hello and I giggle more. :)

It just struck me today that it sometimes makes me feel misunderstood. For example, if someone only knows me in German and assumes things about my character I'd like to clarify that this is in fact only one of my characters. Anyone else here feel that way?

Edited by druckfehler on 02 August 2011 at 9:58am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version