zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5140 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
17 July 2010 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
I was wondering if there is a method or a way to learning more words faster. Right now
I'm learning maybe 30 words every 4-5 days and sometimes having trouble being able to
recall it fast from memory but it's different when I see the word in parley/anki. I'm
able to recall it really easy that way.
1 person has voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 2 of 4
17 July 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
The difference with Anki is you're dealing with passive vocabulary. Recalling it outside of the program is just dealing with your active vocab, and it takes longer to build that up. Learning words passively is the first step. Activating those words is up to you. As in, how often you write, speak, etc. Reading and listening can help too, but those are also somewhat passive. Also, recalling something quickly just takes some practice. Just spend some time with what you think you need to be learning. It'll get better eventually.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5140 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
17 July 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the reply. I try to write a lot but due to limited knowledge of the cases
and also limited knowledge of words I cannot really express too much to really write a
lot unless I want to say the same things over and over. I use lang-8 for getting corrects
when I do write. I do have some conversations with my German friend but it's only about
the weather xP and then 99% of the time it's in English as due to the above.

Edited by zekecoma on 17 July 2010 at 8:54am

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 4 of 4
17 July 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Oh OK yeah. Well, I think you'll see as you grow your passive vocabulary, you'll find that you'll be able to recall more of the words actively, and you'll know how to talk about more things. The two processes help each other out, as it were. The more you do one, the more it'll help the other, and the more you do both, the faster you'll improve. That's definitely been the case for me. And it doesn't really matter too much if you're repeating things a lot, what really matters is that you're trying to write in your target language. You won't write exactly the same thing every time, and you'll gradually work in new vocabulary as you go.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version