Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 9
17 July 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
I posted briefly about this in the Accent reduction courses thread but I don't want to
de-rail it, so I'm making my own.

Basically, I want a proper English accent. I'm rarely taken for a foreigner when in
England, but that's probably mostly due to English people not being used to
Scandinavian accents (people familiar with them instantly hears I'm Scandinavian at
least). I'm generally taken for either Irish, Northern Irish or in a few cases American
or South African.

I would like either an Irish or a Cockney accent, and I figured shadowing is the way to
go to acquire them. Does anyone have any extensive sound clips with either accents, or
any tips of some, such as audiobooks or extensive talks? Preferrably as strong an
accent as possible, I could tone it down afterwards. Would be very appreciated! :)

- Henrik

Edited by mrhenrik on 17 July 2010 at 9:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5094 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 2 of 9
17 July 2010 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Isn't a cockney accent something you want to get rid of as fast as possible?
Or have you fallen in love with a flower girl?
6 persons have voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5243 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 3 of 9
17 July 2010 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Google David Alan Stern. He does a program, Acting with an Accent, for which Irish and Cockney dialects are available. I can see the use of shadowing for practice, but you need to know what you're practicing!

I don't know about the Cockney or Irish courses, but the British RP course appears to be quite thorough. I only did the first three tracks, before discovering that I wasn't that interested in RP pronunciation after all. But if you're serious, the course will teach you a lot about the mechanics of making your mouth move right so that the sounds of your chosen dialect come out naturally. I was amazed to discover that you don't actually need to imitate British vowel sounds if you're placing your resonance and tightening the corners of your mouth properly - with the mouth properly prepared they just come out that way. And the final Rs take care of themselves as well. Assuming that you're supposed to practice the exercises in later lessons as much as those in the beginning, I'm guessing the one hour course has five or six hours of training, at which point you'll be ready to shadow with a proper accent, not just what Irish or Cockney sounds like to you.

Best of luck.
3 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 9
18 July 2010 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the tip BartoG, I'll definitely check that out!

linoleng, that's indeed the word on the street, but the word on the street is silly and
can't appreciate the completely insane beauty that is cockney. Prefer Irish a tiny bit
more though.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 5 of 9
18 July 2010 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
mrhenrik wrote:
linoleng, that's indeed the word on the street, but the word on the street is silly and
can't appreciate the completely insane beauty that is cockney. Prefer Irish a tiny bit
more though.
Go with Irish then. Cockney sounds terrible.

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
18 July 2010 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
I was rather asking for tips on learning the accents, not what people think of them. A
lot of people don't like the cockney accent, sure, just like a lot of people don't like
the sound of Dutch, or Mandarin, or American English. People have different tastes, isn't
it beautiful? ;)

Edited by mrhenrik on 18 July 2010 at 5:56am

3 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5356 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 7 of 9
19 July 2010 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
There are 4 videos from Prof A. about accents, in which he says that shadowing is not especially helpful for acquiring a good accent. He got his good German accent by using a private tutor, and living in the country.

That said, I'm sure it beats other self-study methods.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5562 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 9
19 July 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
One drawback of David Alan Stern's program is that it is made for Americans, and starts from a Standard Northern American accent which I can't even imitate well.
I don't think it's especially useful for foreign accent reduction, and I'd rather have a nondescript English + German accent mix than a local + German one. (I'd love to learn David Tennant's accent, by the way)

This girl does some nice imitations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k
and has a tutorial on how she learns accents
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJyTA4VlZus
some of it is helpful, but it's also obvious that she can't explain everything she does, like the '5 vowels' comment at the beginning of that video - that's where her talent comes into place, because she obviously can learn to copy the exact sound she hears while still thinking in the five vowel letters English is written in.

I do believe that in order to learn an accent you don't only need input and practice, but also feedback. Both of speakers of that accent who want to help you to acquire it, and of speakers who can point out your Norwegianisms to you (unless you do have a special talent and/or are a trained actor, maybe then you could manage it on your own)
Shadowing might help with the input and practice, especially if you shadow radio plays, podcasts and such - conversation, even scripted conversation is probably better than audio books. But I doubt it will be enough.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version