Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6127 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 1 of 12
19 July 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I've been intrigued by the Georgian language for a number of years now and my plan has always been to learn Russian first, purely on the assumption that there is a good deal more material for Russian speakers to learn Georgian than in English, or indeed even German (for speakers of which one seemingly quite good course is available from Buske Verlag). Is this in fact so? Can anyone point me in the direction of some excellent Georgian materials for Russian speakers, if in fact any such materials do exist?

I'm aware of Aronson's courses in English, though unfortunately only his Reading Grammar appear to have any accompanying audio thus rendering the task of coming to grips with this Caucasian language all the more difficult and arduous and frustrating.

So, is there anything worth mentioning in Russian?

Edited by ChristopherB on 19 July 2010 at 9:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 12
19 July 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Your profile says you speak German fluently; this should be a boon, as most Georgian resources I've found references to are in German. Take this with a large grain of salt, but the resource situation for Georgian seems to me to be better in German than Russian.

In English, Dunwoody Press' "Georgian Newspaper Reader" has audio.

Some Russian resources do exist; I don't know anything significant about specific ones.

I'd recommend taking a look at uz-translations as well; regardless of what one thinks about their approach to copyright, it's an amazing place to get an overview of what is (or has been) available in one language for another, and you can then look for places to buy the materials you now know exist.

2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5275 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 3 of 12
19 July 2010 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
I have a copy of Georgian Language Intensive Course by Nikolaishivili, which has been
translated into English from Russian. It comes with 3 CDs and has some very long
dialogues at the end of each chapter which are great for listening practice. However,
the grammar explanations are really poor - if you were starting from scratch with this
book I think you would be very lost very soon!

In German there is Einfuhrung in der Georgischen Sprache, which was written in the
1950s and is supposed to be the most comprehensive work ever published. I haven't
bought it so I can't tell you what I think about it, but it is available on Uz-
Translations (I haven't been able to find a hard copy anywhere).

Another big German textbook that comes with a CD is Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache.
There are lots of dialogues in this one too, but I got the impression that a lot of
them had been translated directly from German into Georgian, and when I showed them to
my Georgian teacher he agreed that a lot of the expresssion in the dialogues are
unnatural. The layout of the book is a little strange too, but despite these
reservations I think this one is worth buying.

To be honest, though, I still think you are better off with the English texts. Aronson
isn't so bad - there's nothing colloquial about it at all (!) but it's very good for
getting a grip on Georgian grammar. The Newspaper Reader that Volte mentioned is also
very good, but not for a beginner. The very best text for a beginner, without question
in my opinion, is Kiziria's Beginner's Georgian. It comes with two CDs, has lots of
natural dialogues using conversational Georgian, and provides very clear grammar
explanations. Bear in mind, though, that she leaves a lot of grammar out so you
will have to supplement it with another, more comprehensive, textbook.

If you do find any great Russian textbooks let me know! I'd be very interested.
3 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 12
20 July 2010 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Your profile says you know French...Assimil has a Georgian course with French as the base language.

zhiguli
Canada
Joined 6252 days ago

176 posts - 221 votes 
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 5 of 12
20 July 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
This probably isn't quite kosher either, but then this is Russia, where they don't care about copyright:
nukri.org
of note are Natadze (self-teacher) and Rudenko and Kekelia (grammars).
There's another book not on the site - Грузинский язык для всех, by Tsibakhashvili. It tries to be a tourist phrasebook *and* cover some grammar and doesn't quite succeed at either, but I feel some affection for it as it was my first text. It also has some good beginner reading passages and dialogues.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 6 of 12
20 July 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
Your profile says you know French...Assimil has a Georgian course with French as the base language.

But is it a full course? I thought it was just one of those pocket phrasebooks. It would be awesome if I am mistaken and they made a real course...

johntm93
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 7 of 12
20 July 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

But is it a full course? I thought it was just one of those pocket phrasebooks. It would be awesome if I am mistaken and they made a real course...
You are correct. I didn't do a search when I looked originally, I just looked on the drop-down list. Thanks for the correction.

Also...Christopher, why do you want to learn Georgian (I'm just curious)?

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 8 of 12
21 July 2010 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
nogoodnik wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

You are correct. I didn't do a search when I looked originally, I just looked on the drop-down list. Thanks for the correction.

Also...Christopher, why do you want to learn Georgian (I'm just curious)?

I was afraid of that. I was hoping I was the one who made the mistake. I would be learning Georgian now if Assimil made a with ease course.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version