India
Joined 5053 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English, Hindi

Message 1 of 8
19 July 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys

In the 'Guidelines for success' of the Pimsleur German language manual:

"Do all required activities according to instructions, *WITHOUT* reference to outside persons, book, or course.

Do *NOT* have a paper and pen nearby during the lessons, and do *NOT REFER* to dictionaries or other books. The Pimsleur Method works with the language-learning portion of your brain, requiring language to be processed in its spoken form. Not only will you interrupt the learning process if you attempt to write the words that you hear, but you will also begin to speak the target language with an American accent. This is because the "sounds" represented by the American letters are different from the same-looking letters from the foreign language."

The reasoning behind this is logical and I have been religiously following it. I am extremely happy with my progress. And I believe its confidence which matter most while learning a new language and Pimsleur beautifully provides it. I am half way through German 1st level and I will continue till the end i.e German III and Plus.

Considering this, it will take me another 70 days or so to finish the entire course (one mp3 file per day)

I would like to know if I should keep doing what they have told me to do or do some supplementary things along with it. I have my friends michel thomas, FSI German and subscribe to a few podcasts. What sort of order should I follow? Pimsleur then FSI then MT or all simultaneously?

Will it hamper my learning as they claim? I had initially planned to engage with the 'outside German world' after finishing mid-German III..

Seeking opinions. Mostly, I will stick to my original plan.

Kindly comment.

Btw, about me, I am an Indian and going to Germany for higher studies ie MS. I know to read and write French well but speaking and listening is terrible! :(

Auf Wiedersehen
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 8
19 July 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Wilkommen!
Ich lernen Deutsch auch.
Michel Thomas is pretty good for German, I have FSI but haven't used it (yet). I suggest getting Assimil German without Toil (I'm using it, I like it).
If you can't get Assimil, stick with Pimsleur and MT (you can use them simultaneously). I found MT better because it wasn't as boring as Pimsleur IMO, and it's a lot quicker.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 8
19 July 2010 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't do MT and Pimsleur simultaneously, as both aim to make learning manageable by keeping the number of words down to make it easier on your memory. (Neither course want you to write things down because of this -- if you're constantly looking things up, you're not necessarily training your memory.) The set of words is a bit different, so rather than reinforcing each other, you risk overfilling your head.

That's not to say that you have to complete the entire Pimsleur course to III+ before starting MT -- you'd probably find the first few CDs of MT very boring if you did. Instead, consider taking a break from Pimsleur and working through the MT course (or perhaps half of it) before switching back to Pimsleur.

If you're going back to a course that you've put on hold for a bit, don't start where you left off, because it will take you a short while to get back into it. Try instead repeating the last thing you did before your break in order to remind yourself where you were. This gets you back into the correct mindset to learn the next bit.

Edit:
PS. I've never used FSI materials "in anger", but I've looked over them. If you're using them, I would advise doing so after you're a good way into the MT course -- the FSI stuff is very dense and there's too much information in there for most people to process without a lot of prior language knowledge.   It worked for the FSI because most of their students had done extensive study of other languages before going there. The explanations you get from Thomas are vague but functional, so will demystify what the FSI throws at you.

Edited by Cainntear on 19 July 2010 at 10:51pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5058 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 4 of 8
20 July 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
I am interested in answers to your question as well. I am half way through Pimsleur I of Spanish, but within a week or so I should be working with many native Spanish speakers at a new job. I am curious about the idea of supplementing Pimsleur with another program.

Edited by BobbyE on 20 July 2010 at 12:07am

deutsch_lernen
Diglot
India
Joined 5053 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 5 of 8
21 July 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
thanks johntm93 and cainntear for your suggestions.

Cainntear, I feel what you said makes a lot of sense. I was going through FSI today and
found it to be way above my current level. No timely explanations! FSI is definitely a
no no for 6 months at least.

I am a fan of Pimsleurs. however its awfully slow which in a way is how it works. Now I
need a change as in I want to listen to a different voice..I will finish pimsleur
German 1 (more eight 20 minute files to go) and then start and finish a few cds of MT.
I will make sure I don't get bored early on ;)

During this Pimsleur+MT phase, is it a good idea to supplement it with Assimil-German
Without Toil? These days I have no work other than learning German and hence can afford
to abuse my mental faculties to an extent

Später..
Tschüs!

@johntm93 I am indeed happy to find this forum. Thanks.hows your progress in learning
German?

Edited by deutsch_lernen on 21 July 2010 at 7:53pm

johntm93
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 6 of 8
21 July 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
deutsch_lernen wrote:

@johntm93 I am indeed happy to find this forum. Thanks.hows your progress in learning
German?
Pretty small honestly, but I've done one CD of MT and I'm still on the passive wave of Assimil, but I feel I'm doing pretty good with how far I've gone.
How's yours?

deutsch_lernen
Diglot
India
Joined 5053 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 7 of 8
21 July 2010 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
deutsch_lernen wrote:

German?
Pretty small honestly, but I've done one CD of MT and I'm still on the passive
wave of Assimil, but I feel I'm doing pretty good with how far I've gone.
How's yours?

I started just 22 days ago and on the 22nd audio of Pimsleur German 1..still a loooong
loooong way to go..

johntm93
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 8 of 8
21 July 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
deutsch_lernen wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
deutsch_lernen wrote:

German?
Pretty small honestly, but I've done one CD of MT and I'm still on the passive
wave of Assimil, but I feel I'm doing pretty good with how far I've gone.
How's yours?

I started just 22 days ago and on the 22nd audio of Pimsleur German 1..still a loooong
loooong way to go..
You're ahead of me, I'm on lesson 11 of Assimil (I started about a week ago).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version