MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 2
20 July 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
     Hey. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some things I could do to improve my planned Spanish routine for the break between Summer school and the Fall semester. Over the summer I took Spanish 1 at my school which covered up to indirect object pronouns and preterit past. My final is on Thursday and then I will have four weeks before starting Spanish 2 in the fall.
     I plan to use: Fluenz Spanish,(1 lesson a day), one lesson each of A First Spanish Reader Practice Makes Perfect: Pronouns and Prepositions, and Practice makes Perfect: Verb Tenses.
     In terms of vocab I use Anki for all the words my class covered which is around 600 and anything I come across in Fluenz.
     The thing that I know I need the most work on is aural comprehension, all I know to do is listen to podcasts in Spanish. Does anyone have any ideas to improve my routine. I can do around 6 hours a day for 3 weeks. Thank you very much for any advice.
1 person has voted this message useful

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5063 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 2 of 2
21 July 2010 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
Your routine sounds good. You are correct to keep working at your Spanish over Summer
break. Don't wait around to learn Spanish from the class. Six hours per day sounds
like a lot--but if you enjoy it; go ahead. But, IMO, you would be fine with less than
that. My only recommendation is to use Spanish Audio books for listening as soon as
you feel ready for them. Listening is very important, and I don't think you usually
get enough from a class. Also, if you can handle Spanish TV or movies without
subtitles
, those should help you, too. Don't worry if you don't understand every,
or nearly every, word. You should begin to recognize many different words and tenses
whether you understand them or not. As you learn more, more and more will become
comprehensible to you.

But first and foremost, have fun! Even if you wind up hating your Spanish teacher,
don't let the class ruin the language for you. Find things you enjoy in the language--
movies, books, cooking, sports, ect.--and integrate them into you life. Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version