Joined 5386 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 9 of 11
23 July 2010 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
LLF wrote:
fanatic wrote:

I much prefer Russian For Everybody. It is a joy to use.

What approach does Russian For Everybody take ? I've been trying to get hold of a 1970s
"La Russe sans peine" without success, but it looks like this may be easier to get hold
of.

Does this come as a single volume ? An Abebooks search seems to show various
differently title books (Let's Talk, Vocabulary, etc) so I'm wondering if you have to
buy a complete set to be able to use it.

http://www.amazon.fr/Nouveau-Russe-peine-livre-coffret/dp/B0 0008CTOR
Amazon France still has copies of that version, as well as the new one. Assimil still
offers this course as well (through electronic format).
1 person has voted this message useful

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5113 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 10 of 11
23 July 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
LatinoBoy84 wrote:
LLF wrote:
fanatic wrote:

I much prefer Russian For Everybody. It is a joy to use.

What approach does Russian For Everybody take ? I've been trying to get hold of a 1970s
"La Russe sans peine" without success, but it looks like this may be easier to get hold
of.

Does this come as a single volume ? An Abebooks search seems to show various
differently title books (Let's Talk, Vocabulary, etc) so I'm wondering if you have to
buy a complete set to be able to use it.

http://www.amazon.fr/Nouveau-Russe-peine-livre-coffret/dp/B0 0008CTOR
Amazon France still has copies of that version, as well as the new one. Assimil still
offers this course as well (through electronic format).

The link you provide is for the 90 or early 00's version of the Assimil Russian method. It's very different from the one from the 70's. The 90's version is the one I am currently using even with the heavy amount of neutral and bad reviews about it and because I had already bought it. I will suggest to the OP, if he is able, and want a Assimil Method for Russian, to find a 70s edition.

Edited by grunts67 on 23 July 2010 at 8:10pm

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6957 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 11 of 11
24 July 2010 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
I bought my Russian For Everybody in the mid seventies. It consisted of 10 long-play records and six or seven books. The main textbook was entirely in Russian.

Then, they revised the course making it more politically correct and adding some extra books. The new records were 7 inch and flexible.

I believe the course has been revised again for sale in America. This has four or five books and has English instructions and explanations.

My recordings have the text, dialogues and exercises for language laboratories. I recorded them onto cassettes and then to mp3.

I began learning Russian with My First, Second, Third and Fourth Russian Books by Arakin and Samoylova. They each come with long-play records and cost around five or six dollars each. I couldn't believe the price but the books were subsidised by the Soviet government. They put out a lot of excellent material at very low prices. That was what got me started.

I also bought Russian books on mathematics, chess and electronics to supplement my reading material.

I also read Russian web pages and I read my Assimil books for light reading. I do find the early 50s book heavy going.

Edited by fanatic on 24 July 2010 at 8:22am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version