United States
Joined 6984 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 97 of 278
26 September 2007 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Asiafeverr wrote:
I was just wondering about the "editing the pauses" part using Audacity.

Should I leave a mini-pause so that it still looks like a real conversation?

I also cut off the beginning when it says "Lesson X - Theme of the lesson" and the exercises, that way I only have the conversations. Is it the way it should be done?

For French, I cut off the "Lesson X - Theme of lesson" and exercises. I left the normal breaks in the dialog. That way, there are only two edits per lesson. Although it takes a couple of hours to edit the course, it isn't as time consuming as editing the pauses within the dialog. If you are going to listen to the dialogs several dozen times over your lifetime, it may be a reasonable use of your time.

If I thought the dialog was too slow, I'd be inclined to use the Audacity "change tempo" function. I use that on recordings in my native language for things that I want to listen to repeatedly, it makes it more interesting. 20% faster is my typical change for native language.
1 person has voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6095 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 98 of 278
02 October 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Might just bump this a bit.

Regarding the German "...ohne Mühe" versions on the Assimil site, are they all the good, old ones that have been recommended, or have they, too, been reprinted as different courses? I'm interested in buying them, but places like Amazon list them as having a 2000 release date, so I'm not sure whether they're still the old ones Ardaschir recommends instead.

Edited by Fränzi on 02 October 2007 at 3:48pm

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6737 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 99 of 278
03 October 2007 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Quote:

Regarding the German "...ohne Mühe" versions on the Assimil site, are they all the good, old ones that have been recommended, or have they, too, been reprinted as different courses? I'm interested in buying them, but places like Amazon list them as having a 2000 release date, so I'm not sure whether they're still the old ones Ardaschir recommends instead.

Yes, many of the old courses have been replaced. But as far as I know you can keep them apart by looking at their title. The old courses are "XY ohne Mühe", but the newer ones are "XY ohne Mühe heute".

lamanna
Australia
Joined 6052 days ago

27 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 100 of 278
10 November 2007 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I have a few queries about Assimil. I've been spending more than one day on each lesson after lesson 7. I'm not sure if it's the same for all Assimils but after lesson 7 in Italian with Ease they stop pronouncing slowly and just cut to the fast one. I'm not having trouble understanding what is being said because I can't remember the words when they throw 5 at me in two seconds. I listen to the same lesson 5 times in a row but it really doesn't help.

From now on I'm going to listen to the lesson a few times then write down the words I don't know and read them whenever I get a chance. Is this a productive thing to do? I've noticed they use the same words in more than one lesson... so I could just move on to the next lesson without understanding the previous one entirely. I would prefer not to, but if others have done this and relied on future lessons to reinforce the meanings then I'll do that.

brian00321
United States
Joined 6377 days ago

143 posts - 148 votes 
Studies: German

Message 101 of 278
10 November 2007 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
lamanna wrote:
I have a few queries about Assimil. I've been spending more than one day on each lesson after lesson 7. I'm not sure if it's the same for all Assimils but after lesson 7 in Italian with Ease they stop pronouncing slowly and just cut to the fast one. I'm not having trouble understanding what is being said because I can't remember the words when they throw 5 at me in two seconds. I listen to the same lesson 5 times in a row but it really doesn't help.

From now on I'm going to listen to the lesson a few times then write down the words I don't know and read them whenever I get a chance. Is this a productive thing to do? I've noticed they use the same words in more than one lesson... so I could just move on to the next lesson without understanding the previous one entirely. I would prefer not to, but if others have done this and relied on future lessons to reinforce the meanings then I'll do that.

I think you're just making the course a little too hard on yourself. When I used Assimil German and French I usually did one lesson in about 15-20 minutes and least 3 or 4 lessons a day. I suggest not focusing too much on individual words and just the meaning of the sentences. You can always review and zoom in on the minute details later on.

Try this. STEP 1 First read the English translation. Then listen to the lesson while looking at the Italian text maybe 1-2 times. STEP 2 Afterwards listen to the Italian audio and read the English translation with it about 3-6 times. You'll get the overview and the meaning of the sentences and skits by doing this. STEP 3 Listen to the Italian audio just by itself maybe 3-6 times. When you get to the second phase of the book everything will start coming together. Oh and I suggest keep a sheet of paper with you and make a tally each time you listen to the audio and do each step. It really does help to keep track of things.

I know some people won't agree with my way of doing it, but it works. Well for me it did. I'm just making a suggestion. This'll make the course go by really fast too. But it's alright. Just keep on reviewing and little by little you'll start to pick up the small things. And once you do I guess you're ready for shadowing the audio or doing the Listening-Reading method, so you can get even more input before speaking.

I started working with novels/audiobooks (Harry Potter mainly) after I was finished with Assimil. There's really no need to do the Advance/Using courses too if you're thinking about buying them. I bought 'em and found out quick that I wasted too much money. After Assimil start doing the Listening-Reading method and you'll start to pick things up pretty naturally. Hope this helps.

Brian

Edited by brian00321 on 10 November 2007 at 6:35am

lamanna
Australia
Joined 6052 days ago

27 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Italian

Message 102 of 278
10 November 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help. I definitely need a different way of doing things because the slow progress is boring me. I'll try your method and not worry about every single little unknown. I wanted to get Using Italian but they haven't made one. I was disappointed but if you say I can get more out of Harry Potter then so be it. I would much prefer that way. :) Hopefully the last book will be out as an audiobook when I get to that stage. :)

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6015 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 103 of 278
14 December 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
One question that I've had. What do you guys use to black out the text when a different script is used in the language. For instance, blacking out the romanji for Japanese. I don't want to use something to stain or indent the pages, and white out seems like a huge pain to use.   

Thanks

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6688 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 104 of 278
14 December 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
At the end of lesson 85 in the second Chinese volume, they suggest you to take a piece of card the size of a page and cut out a "window" corresponding to one line of the dialogue - you could use it to read the characters instead of the transcription (or translation). I haven't done this myself. as it works OK to cover the pinyin with a piece of paper. I'd prefer either way before inking out transcription in the book.

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version