United States
Joined 5885 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 121 of 278
16 May 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Hi - I'm almost at the active wave with German. I did a sample test to see if I could translate from English to the target language. I have some concerns.

However, I'm able to translate from the target language into English. Anyone else experiencing all of this? Should I start from lesson 1 again?

Any suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

fredmf
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 122 of 278
16 May 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
My suggestion would be to muddle through as best you can.

Remember that Assimil's instructions (at least on the French version) for the Active wave include listening and
reading through the lesson first, then trying to translate. I would avoid going back to lesson 1 on the Passive
Wave unless you are completely convinced that you are irredeemably lost when trying to translate lessons into
German. If it's a matter of a few words here or there, I would suggest that you keep going. You can review
those words using Assimil, or discover them in other contexts (I have found that in the case of some words, it's
encountering them in multiple contexts and media that really cements them in my brain--this is also true of
new vocabulary in English).

If you aren't able to translate everything, you do have the ability to look on the other side of the page for
assistance. There is nothing preventing you from trying to translate a second, or third, etc., time, if you think
that would be helpful.

Above all, relax. I think this can't be stressed enough, and from reading this board over the past year it seems to
me that anxiety is largely what trips people up when doing Assimil. Turn your mental focus to what you are
learning and not what you aren't (i.e., the glass is half full). Congratulate yourself when you get something
right, for surely you will. Really, really try to resist the temptation to beat yourself up when (not if) something is
hard or you make a mistake. It's not about being perfect but rather about gaining a gradual intuitive feel for the
language. Mistakes and difficulties and forgetting words are part of it.

After you are through with the course, you can still review it (listening, repeating, shadowing, back translating,
whatever seems to help). You can look at other materials, both educational and native, and it will be amazing
how many words from Assimil you will recognize. It becomes a matter of continued exposure and expanding
contexts. Don't make the mistake of thinking, it's once and done, and you can't continue to learn from it. You
can.
5 persons have voted this message useful

PaulyGod
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6155 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Russian, French

Message 123 of 278
16 May 2008 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
I think many of us are interested in seeing an "Assimil Using German" course. Assimil has said they will publish one if they get enough requests for it. See the thread below for more details if you're interested in getting invlolved in encouraging assimil to release the course (they actually part completed it some time ago):
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=10318&PN=1
3 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6094 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 124 of 278
20 May 2008 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have any problem with the actual cases that Assimil provides? Both my Swedish and Russian cases (the latter of which just arrived today) have cracked and split a little at the top spine. It's quite infuriating, and they don't seem to be that sturdy. Good thing I don't need to open them often.

Rollo the Cat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5812 days ago

77 posts - 90 votes 
Studies: Italian, Russian, Ancient Greek

Message 125 of 278
20 May 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Fränzi wrote:
Does anyone have any problem with the actual cases that Assimil provides? Both my Swedish and
Russian cases (the latter of which just arrived today) have cracked and split a little at the top spine. It's quite
infuriating, and they don't seem to be that sturdy. Good thing I don't need to open them often.

Yes. One of mine cracked, or actually it dented severely, during shipping. Assimil mails them in plain envelopes,
not in boxes, so they can get crushed during the shipping process. Other than that, I have no problem with them.

If you can order from Amazon instead of directly from Assimil, that shouldn't be a problem.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6217 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 126 of 278
21 May 2008 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
Rollo the Cat wrote:
Fränzi wrote:
Does anyone have any problem with the actual cases that Assimil provides? Both my Swedish and
Russian cases (the latter of which just arrived today) have cracked and split a little at the top spine. It's quite
infuriating, and they don't seem to be that sturdy. Good thing I don't need to open them often.

Yes. One of mine cracked, or actually it dented severely, during shipping. Assimil mails them in plain envelopes,
not in boxes, so they can get crushed during the shipping process. Other than that, I have no problem with them.

If you can order from Amazon instead of directly from Assimil, that shouldn't be a problem.

I've ordered a fair number of Assimil courses, all through Amazon.fr, and they've all arrived in perfect condition.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6094 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 127 of 278
21 May 2008 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
I've ordered them from Amazon.fr and fnac.com, and they arrived alright, but when I open them up, the the top of the spine seems to split a little. Not enough (yet) that I'd have to tape it or dispose of it altogether, but it does make me wonder about the sturdiness of the packaging.

Feculent
Switzerland
Joined 5939 days ago

136 posts - 144 votes 
Studies: French, German

Message 128 of 278
21 May 2008 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
I don't really find the packaging that important to be honest, because i rip the CDs straight away and then put them away in it never to touch it again, and the book never goes back =)

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version