Groupie
Australia
Joined 4999 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 225 of 278
04 September 2010 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Since the Passive phase is meant to last up to 50 lessons before starting active from the start.
Is it possible to follow exactly the Assimil Method but finish the entire book with passive phase at a quicker pace
(2+/day, maybe a lot more..) and then starting from the very start and then going through the Active phase to
completion?
I think this feels like it will be a better idea for me, but i want opinions just in case it's not?
1 person has voted this message useful

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5208 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 226 of 278
04 September 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
On the Assimil website I saw that they sell just the book, as well as the book + cds. Do you really need the CDs to go with the book? E.g. like the Teach Yourself books I have the complete German one without CDs and to some extent the CDs would help but imo aren´t totally necessary.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 227 of 278
04 September 2010 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
bramsterdam wrote:
On the Assimil website I saw that they sell just the book, as well as the book + cds. Do you
really need the CDs to go with the book?

No, you don't, but you do need audio input if you want to learn to speak a language. So, if you aren't getting this
input from the Assimil CDs, you'll have to get it from somewhere else. The CDs are worth the extra money.

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5208 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 228 of 278
04 September 2010 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
bramsterdam wrote:
On the Assimil website I saw that they sell just the book, as well as the book + cds. Do you
really need the CDs to go with the book?

No, you don't, but you do need audio input if you want to learn to speak a language. So, if you aren't getting this
input from the Assimil CDs, you'll have to get it from somewhere else. The CDs are worth the extra money.

Thanks for the quick reply. Of course audio input is necessary, I was just contemplating on the Assimil cds because it´s an extra 40 euros if you include them..

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 229 of 278
05 September 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
It might be a good idea to have a look for the CDs (or book + CDs) at the various Amazon stores. They tend to
have reasonable prices, but not always. Be sure to check the ISBN numbers with the ones listed on Assimil's
site.

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4999 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 

Message 230 of 278
05 September 2010 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
vexx wrote:
Since the Passive phase is meant to last up to 50 lessons before starting active from the start.
Is it possible to follow exactly the Assimil Method but finish the entire book with passive phase at a quicker pace
(2+/day, maybe a lot more..) and then starting from the very start and then going through the Active phase to
completion?
I think this feels like it will be a better idea for me, but i want opinions just in case it's not?

Anyone?

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 231 of 278
05 September 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure you could do it, but I'm not sure you would gain anything. If you plan to do the active phase at the normal
rate (one lesson a day), you'll have spent 150 days before finishing the course (assuming it is a 100 lesson course).
If you do everything as Assimil say, you'll also spend 150 days. If you speed things up, you'll reach the end quicker,
but you might learn less because you rush things.

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4999 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 

Message 232 of 278
05 September 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
^ I'm going to try and finish the course in 2 months anyway, so just thought it seems more manageable to go
through it twice, just with each phase in isolation, so it's like a review of it all the second time as well.
When you say I won't gain anything, do you mean compared to the original method? Or is this way not actually
good?
Or doesn't it matter if i do it like this or doing the passive and active together..

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version