Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5212 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 233 of 278
05 September 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
I meant compared to the original method. I think you should just try and see if your method works for you. If it
doesn't work as you hoped, you can always revert to the original Assimil method at a later point.
1 person has voted this message useful

S4Real
United States
Joined 6028 days ago

25 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 234 of 278
06 September 2010 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Assimil Spanish has such a proper castilian accent that it's sometimes annoying to my already trained ear to Mexican Spanish in the US. It's like the difference between British English and North American English. If my pronunciation is excellent, couldn't I just record myself reading Assimil?

Edited by S4Real on 06 September 2010 at 4:16am

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4977 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 235 of 278
06 September 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
I meant compared to the original method. I think you should just try and see if your method
works for you. If it
doesn't work as you hoped, you can always revert to the original Assimil method at a later point.

Okay cool, I'll just try it out then, as long as it's going to be as efficient as the normal way in the longrun then i'm
fine!

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5112 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 236 of 278
07 September 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
After reading so many positive reviews, I've decided to purchase Assimil to supplement my German studies.

However, I'm not sure which one to get. I saw the Portuguese version of the New German with ease - O Novo Alemão sem Custo - for sale at a store. However, I checked their website and saw that there is a more recent version already (named «L'Allemand»), but only available in French and Italian for the time being.

Both cost roughly €65.00 and claim to bring you up to B2 level.
However, while the previous version comes with a book of around 400 pages and a total of 2h15 in audio, the new one's got nearly 700 pages and 3h of audio.
Also, the older version says it should take 5 months to complete, while the new one sets the timeframe at 6-8 months.
This makes me think that the latest version has got a lot more material.

Has anyone here seen both versions and would be able to provide a comparison?

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5456 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 237 of 278
07 September 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm using "L'Italien", the ultimate version for studying Italian. The latest version is using more recent Italian
words. On German I don't have experience.

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5112 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 238 of 278
15 September 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
I've got my hands on the "O Novo Alemão Sem Custo" book and it seems like, though printed in 2009, it corresponds to the 1986 French version. It's first lesson is called 'Im Café' and it's a dialogue between a customer and a waiter.

The latest version is from 2004 and the first lesson is named 'Viel Glück' and it's about us starting to learn German. I'm guessing it will be several years, if not decades, before this gets translated into Portuguese.

It's actually surprising that a rather popular course like Assimil is lacking so much in regard to the languages it is available in. Much more obscure courses are available in several languages in their latest version.

To those who have used Assimil based on a language other their own mother tongue, do you feel it is somewhat less effective because of that? In my case, French is my 2nd foreign language and unfortunately I don't use it much.
And do you feel it would be better to mentally translate all the explanations, instructions and translations in French into your own language, in order to keep everything between your mother tongue and the target language? Or would it be better not to think in your mother tongue at all, rather fully embrace French as your base language for the course?

On the other hand, do you think it would be beneficial to take two different versions of an Assimil course (the 1986 and 2004 in this case)? Jointly or complete one after completion of the other?

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5212 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 239 of 278
15 September 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Frieza wrote:

To those who have used Assimil based on a language other their own mother tongue, do you feel it is somewhat
less effective because of that?

Yes and no. I've used Assimil and a number of other materials in English. I have to spend a bit more time than if
they were written in Norwegian. Sometimes I'm a bit uncertain about the exact meaning of an English word, and I
have to look things up to be sure. Some of the grammar explanations are not always relevant to me as a
Norwegian speaker because they deal with the differences between English and the target language.

Frieza wrote:
And do you feel it would be better to mentally translate all the explanations, instructions and
translations in French into your own language, in order to keep everything between your mother tongue and the
target language? Or would it be better not to think in your mother tongue at all, rather fully embrace French as
your base language for the course?

Sometimes I do mentally translate it to my native language; sometimes I don't. This is something I do or don't
more or less unconsciously.

Frieza wrote:
On the other hand, do you think it would be beneficial to take two different versions of an
Assimil course (the 1986 and 2004 in this case)? Jointly or complete one after completion of the other?

I've already done it with Assimil German without Toil and Assimil German with Ease, and I'm doing it now with
French without Toil and New French with Ease. I'm doing them at the same time.

Edited by tractor on 15 September 2010 at 9:20pm

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6862 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 240 of 278
15 September 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Frieza wrote:
To those who have used Assimil based on a language other their own mother tongue, do you feel it is somewhat less effective because of that?

No. I believe if you're strong enough in the source language - particularly in reading comprehension then there shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
And do you feel it would be better to mentally translate all the explanations, instructions and translations in French into your own language, in order to keep everything between your mother tongue and the target language? Or would it be better not to think in your mother tongue at all, rather fully embrace French as your base language for the course?

The latter approach is the one I've taken. I have courses for both Spanish and French speakers and I can't recall ever translating anything into English.

Quote:
On the other hand, do you think it would be beneficial to take two different versions of an Assimil course (the 1986 and 2004 in this case)? Jointly or complete one after completion of the other?

I can't see a problem with either approach, although I've not tried the "jointly" one. I'm currently doing Assimil's German without Toil having previously gone through El nuevo Alemán sin esfuerzo.

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version