Portugal
Joined 5134 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 241 of 278
16 September 2010 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the input.

A couple of months ago, I was thinking of continuing with German and revising French at the same time. Then I decided it would be better to focus solely on German.
Maybe taking "L'Allemand" is a way of getting the best of two worlds I hadn't thought about.
1 person has voted this message useful

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5134 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 

Message 242 of 278
07 October 2010 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
It's settled!

I'm starting German with Ease soon and once I've completed that, I'll do L'Allemand.
I'll do them mostly in the morning and/or on my lunch break, since I also want to continue with both DW Deutsch Interaktiv and Deutsch - warum nicht?

I've still got a doubt though. I know that the course stresses how important it is to study a bit everyday (one lesson a day they say), but at the same time they set the timeframe for completion at 5 months or 6-8 months, when completing one lesson each day would enable completion in just slightly over 3 months.

Do they just assume that one will not be able to complete a lesson each day or are we supposed to run the entire course more than once?

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5328 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 243 of 278
07 October 2010 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Frieza wrote:

I've still got a doubt though. I know that the course stresses how important it is to
study a bit everyday (one lesson a day they say), but at the same time they set the
timeframe for completion at 5 months or 6-8 months, when completing one lesson each day
would enable completion in just slightly over 3 months.

You effectively do each lesson twice. If you stick to one per day after you start the
active phase (doing active and passive on alternate days, rather than one active and
one passive each day)it will take six months

Jim

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5134 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 

Message 244 of 278
28 October 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
What are their instructions once you reach the 'active phase'?
Do a passive lesson one day and an active lesson the next, or do one passive lesson + one active lesson each day? I was under the impression it was the latter.

Hardheim
Diglot
United States
Joined 4980 days ago

34 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 245 of 278
28 October 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Frieza wrote:
What are their instructions once you reach the 'active phase'?
Do a passive lesson one day and an active lesson the next, or do one passive lesson + one active lesson each day? I was under the impression it was the latter.

It's up to you. Like JimC indicates, if you do the active wave lesson (for lessons 1-50) and a passive wave lesson on the same day, it will run you 5.5 months for the course. If you alternate active (for 1-50) and passive on separate days, then it runs you 7.5 months. Assimil is leaving it up to you whether to combine waves on the same day. Also, don't forget that you will be doing the active wave of lessions 50-110 when you are completely finished with lessons 1-50. That's why it takes longer than 3 months. I imagine either is equally effective depending on your time constraints.

Edited by Hardheim on 28 October 2010 at 8:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6884 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 246 of 278
28 October 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Frieza wrote:
do one passive lesson + one active lesson each day?

This is the way I've done it in the past as I like to do one lesson passively per day. However, it's important that you do it in a manner you're comfortable with.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5134 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 

Message 247 of 278
29 October 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Hardheim wrote:
Also, don't forget that you will be doing the active wave of lessions 50-110 when you are completely finished with lessons 1-50.

That's what I hadn't factored in before. And that is why they say 5 months (or 150 days) for completion. I'm guessing the most recent versions have extended the timeframe to 6-8 months because the dialogues are longer and therefore it's more difficult to fit two lessons into one day at the active phase.

Since I'll be doing other stuff besides Assimil and taking two versions of the programme one after the other, I'm planning to do one active and one passive per day during the active phase.

Baracuda
Groupie
United States
Joined 5586 days ago

53 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian, German

Message 248 of 278
05 November 2010 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
I found an old Assimil book at a used book store the other day. It's a Dutch book on learning French called "Frans Zonder Moetie." I'm not sure what year it is from, but it appears quite old.

I've just started with the Assimil books for Spanish and Dutch and already know a good bit of French, but maybe I'll go through it for fun some day after I've learned Dutch :)

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version