Singapore
Joined 6139 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 265 of 278
01 September 2011 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
You may be right. I am basing my opinion mostly on the Italian courses, which I've completed in their entirety, and from browsing through the French courses. They introduce some harder tenses like the subjunctive very early on in the Without Toil series and much later in the With Ease books.

Either way, the courses are much different so it's useful to do both.

Edited by newyorkeric on 01 September 2011 at 3:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4621 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 266 of 278
01 September 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
dleewo wrote:
I actually find the WithoutToil book (at least for German) is easier than the WithEase.

I'm currently doing both for German, doing one lesson each per day. I'm on lesson 35 in each book. For each lesson, I always play the dialog without opening the book and I find that I can understand more of the WithoutToil dialog vs the WithEase dialog on that first pass.

Also, each lesson of WithotuToil has less sentences than the WithEase. The German WithoutToil has 125 lessons vs the 100 for WithEase and while I'm only at lesson 35, I'm thinking they can go slower in WithoutToil as they have more lessons over which to stretch the material.

Please note that this is only the opinion of someone that is at lesson 35 and only for German. Other languages may differ.

Hey Derek!

From what I've gleamed from the Without Toil book, they do introduce more complicated structures and words earlier. For example, the word "Vernügen" is introduced in, I believe, the fourth lesson. But isn't mentioned until about lesson 52 in the "With Ease series." At least one of the lessons is the same, "Der Engel mit Schuhen" features in both (lesson 55 in "Without Ease" and 53 in "Without Toil").

I think newyorkeric is correct, though. "Werden" is introduced in lesson 25, much earlier than in With Ease, which introduces it in lesson 41. The same with "da- compounds". Lesson 20 in Without Toil introduces "dafür" while a With Ease doesn't introduce those compounds until lesson 32.

Either way, newyorkeric is right, there's enough variation in order and vocabulary to get a lot out of both. I think I might start what you are doing, dleewo and working through both simultaneously. Thanks for the input, guys!

Edit: For reference Derek, I'm on lesson 57 in "With Ease."

Edited by TMoneytron on 01 September 2011 at 8:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 267 of 278
22 August 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Hello, without reading every page on here (although I will do at some point) I am wondering what Is the best way to use Assimil Chinese with ease?

I have just got It today and before I start, I would like to here how to use It to the best you can.

What other programs work well with It and how much time should I study.

Also, I apologize If this Is posted else where.

Thanks In advance

AdamUK
United Kingdom
Joined 4914 days ago

12 posts - 39 votes
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish

Message 268 of 278
31 August 2012 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Just started with my Assimil Spanish and I'm loving it already!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 269 of 278
31 August 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Are there alternatives for the active wave? I wouldn't want to translate really but I still wanna join the challenge;)

mikeinstlouis
United States
Joined 5741 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 270 of 278
23 August 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Is this forum still active?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 271 of 278
23 August 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
mikeinstlouis wrote:
Is this forum still active?

This forum is still quite active. This particular thread, on the other hand, hasn't been active for a while. But there's nothing wrong with bringing it back to life, especially if you have something to ask about it, or to add to the discussion.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5543 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 272 of 278
26 August 2013 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Just finished lesson 100 of Assimil's German program. It's the first time I've used Assimil as my main
method and I'm really happy with it. I can now confirm what others have said: no way it takes you to B2. A
strong A2 or at best a (very) weak B1 is more like it. Nevertheless, I highly recommend it and hope that the
second level course (I've now realised I don't need to speak French to use it) and finishing the FSI course
(which I'm about a third of the way through) will get me to B2.

Great course,

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version