Joined 7096 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 17 of 278
31 January 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
I was just about to go buy an assimil course just to see what was in it, but then I saw the words '4 hours of audio'.. only 4?

And even less if you take Ardaschir's advice and edit out all the spaces. You're left with only 2 hours!

ElComadreja wrote:
That hardly seems like enough and there appears to be different levels of Assimil as well that i can't seem to follow the logic of.

From what I've gathered, there are the standard "sans peine" courses for every language, but some of the more popular european languages also have an advanced level. Also, for some of the more difficult languages, the "sans peine" courses are divided into two levels.

As for whether or not 2 hours of pure audio is enough, that remains to be seen. My courses should arrive in a week, and while I want to finish them before writing a review, I might post my first impressions.
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7037 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 18 of 278
04 February 2005 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
When all is said and done, the quality of taped materials is really more important that their quanitity measured in listening hours. Assimil is definitely not for anyone who learns well through pattern drills, but how many times do or can you listen to a given FSI tape? 4? 5? At 6hours times 12 tapes, that's 72 listening hours. As I described the way I use Assimil type tapes, I shadow them easily that many hours if not more. I have found that even two hours of taped material in a language, provided it is comprised exclusively of relativley natural dialogues and reading passages, is indeed a good, representative chuck of that language. If you internalize such a tape over a period of months, understanding it on progressively deeper levels, you will be on your way towards really knowing that language.

Malcolm, you're right, they did put out an ancient Greek course exactly a year ago, last February. Before you order it, though, read the reviews for it on Amazon.com.fr Apparently the book is great, but the tapes leave a lot to be desired. Now that I think of it, a classics publisher with a lengthy Slovak-Italian name like Bordzoy-Cardassi put out a series of readings of Classical Greek materials in the latest "restored" accent some years ago. If you can't get them direct from the publisher anymore, I imagine you can order them from AudioForum for 2 or 3 times the original price.
7 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 19 of 278
19 February 2005 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Well, here's how i do the FSI myself:
1)Listen to the conversation (in all its forms) attempting to mimic the tapes when asked. I repeat this until I don't make any more progress
2) Go read the script connecting the sounds I made to the meanings (if I haven't already) seeing what i missed completely, and checking pronunication.
3) Repeat 1&2 until I know most of the script
4) Do the drills where they alter the sentences you just learned. Alot of times this helps me fill in some of the blanks with ease.
5) Do the grammar drills. Most of these I only have to do twice (an example of what took significant time is choosing between past tenses in spanish)

This is not a strict pattern as I like to jump ahead and learn more scripts first. There are also some patterns I pick up on early, so I don't have to do them. Like in french I figured out the difference between 'ma' & 'mon', 'vos' & 'votre' before it was presented.
And yet others show a grammar point and I say to myself, "yeah I guess that's right", but I still have to do the drill to make it more automatic to say (ce,cette, ces)

Edited by ElComadreja on 19 February 2005 at 12:03pm

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6988 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 20 of 278
02 March 2005 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
This is my language list:

www.geocities.com/jradetzky/langlist.html

There are some Assimil courses I could trade for others I don't have.

Edited by jradetzky on 02 June 2005 at 9:49am

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6988 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds

Message 21 of 278
02 March 2005 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
J Radetzky's language list

Edited by jradetzky on 02 June 2005 at 9:51am

Flori
Romania
Joined 6988 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 22 of 278
05 March 2005 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
I think Assimil Courses are great! I've used "English without a toil" and "el catalán sin esfuerzo" and both were excellent. I've recently been to Barcelona and my language was good enough to talk to everyone without depending on my spanish.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7037 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 23 of 278
18 March 2005 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
In my opinion, el catalán sin esfuerzo is the best language program I have ever seen. The first 1/3 of the book is basic conversation, the 2nd/3rd general cultural information, the last 3rd literary detail. What more could you want? All of this is recorded in progressively "normal" voices. As far as "languages" go, Catalan is unquestionaably Europe's premiere minority (you can do all of your "Yahoo" business in it), so, as I have said before, this course is most worthy of investigation by any anyone who might be interested in learning a language based on the quality of material available for studying it.
7 persons have voted this message useful

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6988 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds

Message 24 of 278
19 May 2005 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
I have a rather frivolous question. How should the word "Assimil" be pronounced: A-see-meel (stress on the first syllable), a-SEE-meel (stress on the second syllable), or a-see-MEEL (stress on the last syllable)?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version