Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6233 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 9 of 28
25 July 2010 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
You just described the huge problem for all non-native speakers learning foreign languages. Native speakers do not always speak clearly and slowly, in fact depending on the region, never. That only gets worse when you add in distinctions that don't exist in your native language (pitch accent instead of stress, tones etc.).
1 person has voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5300 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 28
25 July 2010 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
The tones matter. Please do the tones, or at least try. We'll be patient if you're
putting some modicum of effort into it, I promise. I once tutored someone for free who
had the exact same idea you did about not needing to do tones if you spoke fast enough.
He had pretty good grammar, pattered away happily, was absolutely incomprehensible.
Threw something of a hissy fit when I suggested that he begin to learn tones because he
thought I was calling him a bad student. Which he was, seeing as tones are easily one
of the most fundamental aspects of Mandarin. After that I began to charge him money
because no way was I going through that again without lavish compensation.

If you are just trying to learn enough Mandarin to get by on vacation - that is, if you
do not intend to ever learn much Mandarin and will constrict yourself only to the kinds
of basic phrases we all expect tourists to say - then I suppose you could get away with
not attempting tones, in that people would probably manage to guess your intention by
means of deduction. But if you want to learn Mandarin to a more advanced level, then I
suggest that you rapidly turn your attention to both reproducing the tones and hearing
them (as it appears that your ears are not used to hearing the differences in
intonation yet).

The only situation I have ever been in in which someone did not pronounce his tones was
in a conversation with my grandfather near the end of his life. At that point he had
been deaf for long enough that he was no longer exact with his tones and chose to
bellow out his words in a sort of a distraught wail. Actually, I think he was doing it
on purpose now that he could "finally get away with it." This sort of situation will
almost definitely be the exception to your experience.
6 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5780 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 11 of 28
25 July 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
There are many subtleties to tones in Mandarin that are not taught in official classroom textbooks and things like that. Native speakers have certain triggering features that are the minimal features of each tone, so that they may not be exactly spoken as they are in the textbook examples. A rising tone may not have to rise as much as long as it has certain specific contrasts with the tones before and after it. It's like what you may have heard about the changes in the third tone too.

The tones are vital though. One situation for me was when my friend (another native English speaker) and I would try to get a taxi back to the university in Hangzhou. If he tried to say the name of our campus (with bad or nonexistant tones), the cabbie almost never understood. He had a rate of maybe 10% success with cabbies. Meanwhile, (since we were beginners at the time) I had spent time every day practicing the proper tones for the name of our campus, and I had a near 100% success rate on the first try when telling the cabbies where to go. My friend said that he couldn't hear the difference between what I was saying and what he was saying, but I could hear it and apparently so could the taxi drivers.

One more idea is that when people are listening to you speak, they are actively predicting the next sounds that will come from you...the pitch and rhythm is important even in other languages that don't have specific word tones. If you say something that disobeys the prosody of the language, then you're throwing off their internal language prediction abilities, and they lose track of the entire utterance. Check out Olle Kjellin's paper on "Accent Addition" for some interesting additional information, although not specific to chinese. He's refering generally to swedish-style tones, but the principles of how to gain the skills will apply to anything. http://olle-kjellin.com/SpeechDoctor/ProcLP98.html
5 persons have voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5102 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 28
25 July 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
You just described the huge problem for all non-native speakers learning foreign languages. Native speakers do not always speak clearly and slowly,

This is not accurate. Because the native speakers do speak clearly - that's why they understand one another in the first place.
The problem are not the native speakers but the learners's lack of ability to pick everything up.

EDIT. Oh, and a great comment by Doviende.

Edited by Derian on 25 July 2010 at 12:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 28
25 July 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
This is not accurate. Because the native speakers do speak clearly - that's why they understand one another in the first place.
The problem are not the native speakers but the learners's lack of ability to pick everything up.

There is more to communicating/understanding than pure pronunciation - native speakers understand each other even if the other person has a some kind of speech impediment, thick accent, is chewing gum, has a fat lip, is numb from having been to the dentist's etc. They know what to listen for, hear if the prosody is right and then fill in the blanks.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 25 July 2010 at 6:33pm

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6233 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 14 of 28
25 July 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
There is more to communicating/understanding than pure pronunciation - native speakers understand each other even if the other person has a some kind of speech impediment, thick accent, is chewing gum, has a fat lip, is numb from having been to the dentist's etc. They know what to listen for, hear if the prosody is right and then fill in the blanks.
Pretty much what I meant. Learners are naturally used to hearing things spoken clearly, exaggerated and pronounced. If you take away some of that information (shout it down a bad telephone line, whisper it etc.), native speakers can still fill in the gaps. Change some of the consonants (I'm playin', /n/ for /N/, /S/ for /s/ etc.), and native speakers can fill in the gaps. Even native speakers hearing a different dialect won't pick up everything perfectly without practice, one has to become accustomed to the dialect before one understands everything said.

At the same time, it is certainly true that native speakers speaking clearly won't always be perfectly understood by learners, simply because they are learners. But it is perfectly possible to be a C1/C2 standard, and still not understand things (music, things through a badly amplified microphone etc.) that natives would understand.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5780 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 15 of 28
29 July 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Readers here might also be interested in the concept of HVPT ("High Variability Phonetic Training"), summarized in a Language Log article here: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=328

the author of the blog post wrote:

The basic idea is incredibly straightforward: lots of practice in forced-choice identification of minimal pairs, with immediate feedback, using recordings from multiple speakers.

Suppose we're teaching English /i/ vs. /ɪ/. Then on each trial, the subject sees a minimal pair — say mitt vs. meet — and hears a recorded voice saying one of the two words. The subject makes a choice, and immediately learns whether the choice was right or wrong.

The article goes on to say that if you only hear these things from one speaker (perhaps your classroom teacher if you're taking a class), then you won't learn to distinguish the sounds properly in a general sense. Once you've heard the different possibilities from multiple different speakers however, then you can absorb a sort of "target area" for the sound, so that if you hit anywhere inside that area, it's an acceptable version of the sound.

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5242 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 16 of 28
29 July 2010 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Are the tones in Chinese more important than tones in Lithuanian, Serbian, Croatian, Swedish, etc?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version