Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5040 days ago

63 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English, Turkish*
Studies: Latin, German, Russian

Message 1 of 9
24 July 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi all. I was wondering if I learned multiple languages at the same time, would it impede my learning? My German teacher once said to me that you can learn as much as languages at the same time as you want, but be sure that they are completely different languages (e.g. unlike Italian and latin) , otherwise you get confused. I'm currently learning latin and plan on learning Italian, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin (and also perhaps Spanish) chronologically, and because it would take so long to learn them all, would it matter if I learned (some of) them simultaneously? Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5070 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 2 of 9
24 July 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Latin, Italian and Spanish are similar enough to cause confusion. A few years ago, I tried to learn Italian and Spanish simultaneously, and while I was at quite an advanced level of French (also a similar language) and had no confusion with French, I was unable to speak properly only Italian or only Spanish (although I could understand both languages).

I don't think you will learn faster if you learn simultaneously. Try to do one language at a time, each time reaching some level of basic fluency an only then start a new one.

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5063 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 3 of 9
25 July 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
I think it will be fine. I study Latin vocabulary alongside Spanish and French
vocabulary (I don't study Latin grammar). I don't have any problems confusing Spanish
with Latin or French with Latin. The Latin actually helps me remember common words,
without ever causing me confusion. I wouldn't try to start two Romance languages at
once, but I think mixing is fine once you have the pronunciation, verb endings,
prepositions, ect., more or less figured out for the first language.

I don't think Latin will cause you any problems, especially if you are not studying Latin
for listening skills. As for advice on getting through Russian, Japanese, and Mandarin
in a single lifetime--can't help you with that one!

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5193 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 4 of 9
25 July 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
It will slow down the learning process as you are dividing your time, and expect to confuse the languages at first. All in all though, it is doable and can be good if you are like me and get easily bored doing only one thing at a time.

Lakkhamu
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5040 days ago

63 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English, Turkish*
Studies: Latin, German, Russian

Message 5 of 9
25 July 2010 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm planning on learning Japanese and Russian at the same time, perhaps later on Mandarin. Could that be doable, or even Mandarin at the same time? In your profile, for example, you're studying 7 languages at a time. Is that hard?

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5078 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 9
25 July 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Lakkhamu wrote:
Hi all. I was wondering if I learned multiple languages at the same time, would it impede my learning? My German teacher once said to me that you can learn as much as languages at the same time as you want, but be sure that they are completely different languages (e.g. unlike Italian and latin) , otherwise you get confused. I'm currently learning latin and plan on learning Italian, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin (and also perhaps Spanish) chronologically, and because it would take so long to learn them all, would it matter if I learned (some of) them simultaneously? Thanks.

My personal opinion:

1. If you're learning languages that are similar (like Latin, Romanian, Italian, Spanish, etc) don't learn more than two at the same time.

2. If you're learning languages that are completely different (like Russian, French, Japanese, Arabic, etc) you are only limited by available study time. Realistically it would be a maximum of four for most people, I think.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ReachingOut
Pentaglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5033 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, GreekB2, French, Romanian
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 9
26 July 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I was learning two very similar languages in tandem, Italian and Romanian. Not really such a good idea because both languages have similar vocabulary, or words which exist in both languages but with a totally different function. For example, while speaking Italian I kept on using "ne" instead of "ci" because ne is "us" in Romanian and I'm sure I was driving my teacher mad with these silly little mistakes.
I find that it's better to concentrate first on one, and then the other.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 8 of 9
29 July 2010 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
It helps me learning Korean and Japanese at the same time. They're not "officially" related, but have similar grammar and similar vocab, so it speeds up the process for me, allowing me to spend less time learning Japanese because when learning a new grammar function, I'll most likely know the Korean equivalent and it really takes away the frustration of trying to understand it, like when I had to when learn the same structure in Korean the first time.

Of course, the differences in pronunciation help a lot more than learning two Romance languages or any other related family.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version