France
janafadness.com/blog
Joined 6686 days ago

284 posts - 466 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 1 of 8
26 July 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone ever tried a "passive" language exchange or penpal arrangement, in which both parties write only in their native language? It seems like it might be more fun and less stressful than the typical "active" language exchange, which has often fizzled out for me if my abilities in my target language weren't quite up to par. It takes a lot of time and effort to correct the other person's mistakes too, and eventually it just feels like a chore. But with a passive exchange, it seems like you could continue more easily and even have more interesting conversations, since you wouldn't be constrained by a lack of vocabulary or grammatical knowledge. Then once your studies progressed to the point that you were fairly confident you could write without making many mistakes, you could switch to an "active" exchange.

It seems to make sense, but has anyone actually done it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

desi111
Bulgaria
Joined 5529 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English

Message 2 of 8
27 July 2010 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
great idea!It won't help active language skills I guess,but it seems like an interesting way to mauntain a language or to dip your feet in a new language
1 person has voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5387 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 3 of 8
28 July 2010 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
With my pen pal/language partner, we each email in our target language and the other person is supposed to correct it. I say "supposed to" because sometimes it does get tedious and takes away from the flow of messages, and so we don't always correct but just enjoy the conversation. And, occasionally we write in our native language, not the other person's target language. We both rationalize it by saying we want the other one to have practice reading their target language, but, in truth, it is usually when we are in a hurry, or tired, etc

janalisa
Triglot
France
janafadness.com/blog
Joined 6686 days ago

284 posts - 466 votes 

Message 4 of 8
28 July 2010 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the responses. I think it's important to be flexible and adjust things so they work the best for you. I've had several foreign pen pals in the past, but those arrangements have all eventually ended because one of us just stopped writing for one reason or the other. I've been trying to figure out how to prevent this, but I suppose a lot of it is just due to personality differences and the difficulty of finding someone you really "click" with.

I've just found a Thai pen pal who's willing to try my idea though, so I'm going to give it a try and see how it works!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
28 July 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
I'm writing my friend in German and she responds in Swedish. There is no correction involved. There have been situations when I have written things in Swedish (or the whole messages in Swedish) if I haven't been able to say it in German.

janalisa
Triglot
France
janafadness.com/blog
Joined 6686 days ago

284 posts - 466 votes 

Message 6 of 8
28 July 2010 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
But don't you worry that you might get incorrect grammar/ unnatural expressions cemented in your mind by not having them corrected?

psy88
United States
Joined 5387 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 7 of 8
29 July 2010 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
janalisa wrote:
But don't you worry that you might get incorrect grammar/ unnatural expressions cemented in your mind by not having them corrected?

I think this could happen if the exchange was your only source for learning. For me it is a pleasant supplement to more structured formal practice,courses,etc. My partner and I enjoy our chats and sharing about our lives and our experiences adds a cross cultural aspect for us.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 8
29 July 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Same here. Both my friend and I study our target languages on our own. I'm using plenty of resources for my German, including a language exchange partner in my town; and my friend is taking/has taken a Swedish course in her town (including spoken practice), and is going to work in Sweden in a couple of months.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version