38 posts - 41 votes
3 sounds
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, German

Message 33 of 37
09 March 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Vlad wrote:
japkorengchi wrote:
Just make a wish here: the perfect number is 1, that God did not give rise to so many languages. And all the peoples in the world can talk freely in the only one language available. It remains a dream forever though.

that would be very sad my friend.

Depressing
1 person has voted this message useful

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6844 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 34 of 37
10 March 2007 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Im sorry but you people are out of your mind if you think 3-5000 words is enough to bring you to basic fluency. I think some of you are neglecting just how many "things" are out there that we give names to, let alone concepts, actions, descriptions, etc.

PeDePano
Triglot
United States
Joined 6285 days ago

23 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Russian, Italian

Message 35 of 37
11 March 2007 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
solidsnake wrote:
Im sorry but you people are out of your mind if you think 3-5000 words is enough to bring you to basic fluency. I think some of you are neglecting just how many "things" are out there that we give names to, let alone concepts, actions, descriptions, etc.

That is English that you are talking about.

There are tons of languages in which you only need 1 or 2 words to express something that might need several sentences to explain in English. In English there are over 400,000 words and most other languages around the world dont have near as many.

One example is Turkish. Something that might take 2 sentences to explain can be summed up into 1 word in Turkish.

Qin Shi Huang
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 36 of 37
12 March 2007 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
PeDePano wrote:
That is English that you are talking about.

There are tons of languages in which you only need 1 or 2 words to express something that might need several sentences to explain in English. In English there are over 400,000 words and most other languages around the world dont have near as many.

One example is Turkish. Something that might take 2 sentences to explain can be summed up into 1 word in Turkish.

I'm certainly noticing this in Mandarin. I sometimes get the feeling that I'm speaking the language incorrectly purely because of how few words are needed to express a concept.

Nonetheless, I have to agree with Solidsnake on this one. I probably know about 3,000 Mandarin words, more or less.

I am not fluent. Not at all. I don't feel close to being fluent, either; I still struggle in understanding the language every day. I don't think this will change with another 1,000 to 2,000 words.

Edited by Qin Shi Huang on 12 March 2007 at 12:54am

PeDePano
Triglot
United States
Joined 6285 days ago

23 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Russian, Italian

Message 37 of 37
12 March 2007 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Im not saying that 3,000 words is enough to be fluent, because it isnt, but you dont need near as many words to be fluent as you would in English.

The exact number of words that you must have to say that your "fluent" varies person to person and also language to language.

I keep bringing up Turkish as an example because although Im still in the early stages of learning, I find that I dont have to use many words to express a thought or action.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version