Israel
Joined 5031 days ago

51 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 21
27 July 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm currently using FSI Spanish Programmatic and it goes well so far. I came with 4 words that are very similar to each other, yet supposedly are slightly different.
esa,ese,esta,este. what does each one means. I know that its supposed to be: that (male), that (female), this (female), this (male). Since i don't know the difference in English than i sure don't know the meaning in Spanish.
Also, what is the word "Aquella" stands for?
And last but not least: -ing. it seems that in Google translate not all of the verbs can be put to the ordinary grammatical rule when i want to apply present progressive (i don't know what it is called in Spanish). for example: la que baila con Jose - works but other verbs don't. So basically the question is, do all verbs approve this form.
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 21
27 July 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
esa, ese, esta, and este all mean that (esa and ese) or this (esta and este). They just have to agree in gender with the noun they are replacing. This is typically used for something close by ("this car" would refer to a nearby car) and that is used for something farther off ("that car" would mean a car a little but away from where you are). There used to be a word "yonder" (actually it's still used in some dialects) that would refer to something farther off in the distance (farther than that). I don't know how well I explained that, you may have to google it.

As for the present progressive...
Estoy comiendo means "I am eating" but in Spanish you can only use the -ing ending (the -ndo ending en español) if it refers to an action that you are doing right now; you couldn't use it to say "I'm eating soon," you'd have to say "I eat soon."

Aquella is another word for "that," although I'm not quite sure on it's use myself (read up on it here). It's the feminine version of "aquel."

I'm not completely sure for this, but that's what I understand (I haven't looked at either of those in a while). I'd love it if someone could correct any mistakes I made.

Edit: Apparently aquel/aquella is more like "yonder/yon" in English. It refers to something at a greater distance away than "ese/esa"

Edited by johntm93 on 27 July 2010 at 10:20pm

betaquarx
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5514 days ago

70 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 21
27 July 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
that (over there, things further afar)
this (right here, things that are near)

Javi
Spain
Joined 5776 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 4 of 21
28 July 2010 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
talkl wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently using FSI Spanish Programmatic and it goes well so far. I came with 4
words that are very similar to each other, yet supposedly are slightly different.
esa,ese,esta,este. what does each one means. I know that its supposed to be: that
(male), that (female), this (female), this (male). Since i don't know the difference
in English than i sure don't know the meaning in Spanish.
And last but not least: -ing. it seems that in Google translate not all of the verbs
can be put to the ordinary grammatical rule when i want to apply present progressive (i
don't know what it is called in Spanish). for example: la que baila con Jose - works
but other verbs don't. So basically the question is, do all verbs approve this form.

Spanish divides the space into three differences regions, one more than in English,
although it's not used the same way in all the Spanish dialects. That's the usage I
know:

este/esta - aquí/acá

Used to designate things that are close to the speaker: "Aquí lleva toda la
semana lloviendo, este tiempo es deprimente. No se te ocurra venir para acá
(= in this direction) ahora"

ese/esa - ahí/allá

Used to designate things that are close to the listener: "¿Cómo está el tiempo por
ahí? En un par de días salgo para allá, me encanta ese lugar"

aquel/aquella - allí/allá

Used to designate things that are not close to neither the speaker nor the listener:
"Creo que debemos dirigirnos hacia aquella montaña de allí - Vale, vamos
para allá"

I think that in many places in Latin America they use a much simpler system without
aquí, ahí and allí. I would say that the one I talked about is the more common in
Spain.
4 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 21
28 July 2010 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Javi, I'm pretty sure they use aquí and allí, but I can't speak for the other words. I've heard my Latin American friends use them.

Edited by johntm93 on 29 July 2010 at 3:29am

talkl
Diglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 5031 days ago

51 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 21
28 July 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
talkl wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently using FSI Spanish Programmatic and it goes well so far. I came with 4
words that are very similar to each other, yet supposedly are slightly different.
esa,ese,esta,este. what does each one means. I know that its supposed to be: that
(male), that (female), this (female), this (male). Since i don't know the difference
in English than i sure don't know the meaning in Spanish.
And last but not least: -ing. it seems that in Google translate not all of the verbs
can be put to the ordinary grammatical rule when i want to apply present progressive (i
don't know what it is called in Spanish). for example: la que baila con Jose - works
but other verbs don't. So basically the question is, do all verbs approve this form.

Spanish divides the space into three differences regions, one more than in English,
although it's not used the same way in all the Spanish dialects. That's the usage I
know:

este/esta - aquí/acá

Used to designate things that are close to the speaker: "Aquí lleva toda la
semana lloviendo, este tiempo es deprimente. No se te ocurra venir para acá
(= in this direction) ahora"

ese/esa - ahí/allá

Used to designate things that are close to the listener: "¿Cómo está el tiempo por
ahí? En un par de días salgo para allá, me encanta ese lugar"

aquel/aquella - allí/allá

Used to designate things that are not close to neither the speaker nor the listener:
"Creo que debemos dirigirnos hacia aquella montaña de allí - Vale, vamos
para allá"

I think that in many places in Latin America they use a much simpler system without
aquí, ahí and allí. I would say that the one I talked about is the more common in
Spain.

thank you very much.
It seems it was a quick review for your knowledge as well wasn't it?

thnx again

Javi
Spain
Joined 5776 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 7 of 21
29 July 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
Javi, I'm pretty sure they use aquí and allí, but I can't speak for
the other words. I've heard my Latin American friends use them.

I guess it can vary among different countries, but you're probably right in general
terms. What I've noticed is that Latin Americans tend to use acá and allá in places
where we'd use aquí and allí here in Spain, but it doesn't mean they don't use them at
all.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 8 of 21
29 July 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Javi, I'm pretty sure they use aquí and allí, but I can't speak for
the other words. I've heard my Latin American friends use them.

I guess it can vary among different countries, but you're probably right in general
terms. What I've noticed is that Latin Americans tend to use acá and allá in places
where we'd use aquí and allí here in Spain, but it doesn't mean they don't use them at
all.
I see. I can't speak for all of the LA countries, because most Hispanics here are from Central America and not South America, but I've never heard acá or allá in my studies (I study LA Spanish), and I don't recall hearing them around here, although I could have and not realized it.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version