Diglot
United States
Joined 5294 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 8
30 July 2010 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Out of all the people who are popular in the online polyglot community, which is your
favorite and why?
2 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5141 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 8
30 July 2010 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
I'm going to have to go with Professor Arguelles for a few reasons:
1. First off, I don't know that many polyglots
2. His youtube videos are AMAZING
3. His posts on here are AMAZING
4. He knows a crapton of languages (even for a polyglot)
There's probably more that I can't think of right now.

Edited by johntm93 on 31 July 2010 at 5:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6479 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 3 of 8
30 July 2010 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
4. He invented shadowing

I used shadowing long before ever having heard of Prof.Arguelles and I'm sure many other language learners also have. I think it's a quite intuitive way of learning.
4 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6723 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 8
31 July 2010 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Some of my favourites are ProfArguelles, StuJay, Luca, Steve Kaufmann, Torbyrne, Mike "Glossika" Campbell...

Just as Marc Frisch, I also shadowed before I knew about ProfArguelles, but it probably wasn't until then I had a name for it, knew "why" it was beneficial and so on. I just did what I found useful.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5187 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 5 of 8
31 July 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
I'm going to have to go with Professor Arguelles for a few reasons:
1. First off, I don't know that many polyglots
2. His youtube videos are AMAZING
3. His posts on here are AMAZING
4. He invented shadowing
5. He knows a crapton of languages (even for a polyglot)
There's probably more that I can't think of right now.

He certainly coined the term, if he didn't invent it.

His videos are well-presented, he can talk seemingly unscripted without hesitation, and he has shown in-detail some important elements for language learners: particular strategies, book series he recommends and loves, language overviews, and dialectual comparison with proof from natives.

FluentCzech's videos make me wish I was learning Czech or was planning to in the future, as he picks idiomatic elements of the languages to focus on that won't be explained in any textbooks. I can also relate to his previous struggles of speaking languages to other people :P

I also love videos by Moses McCormick for his passion, volume and willingness of responses, and his stories. His videos also work as a bit of an inspiration, as nearly half of them must mention motivation. I think by now I'd recognise his house from just looking at his ceiling, too. Sygyzycc shows that he wants to help other polyglots express themselves on his channel, as is demonstrated by his favourite polyglots series and his Polyglot Project. Loki and Cody are both roughly my age and have the confidence to put their videos out there, while both are also much better at their respective languages. Torbyrne's videos are great, thoughtful and useful inspiration for people - I want more! Steve Kaufman's are very interesting and he's an inspiration against the psychological evidence that age deteriorates language ability. I'm yet to watch many of his actually.

My favourites are probably therefore Professor Arguelles, FluentCzech and Glossika (read below). I always eagerly await videos from all of them though :)

EDIT: Oops, I knew I was missing one. Glossika! He's up there with my favourites actually; I'm relatively clueless about most of Asia and his videos give an insight. He's one of only two or three Youtube language uploaders I know of who is willing to learn some small languages often considered minorities (the others being Moses and Professor Arguelles, who mentioned in one video that he's learning Irish). As, somewhat bizarrely, I seem to have the most passion for the smaller languages I'm learning (in descending order: Icelandic, Finnish, German; I want to start on a bit of Irish Gaelic soon too), I like to hear about these small languages I might not know of.

Edited by PaulLambeth on 31 July 2010 at 1:19am

johntm93
United States
Joined 5141 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 6 of 8
31 July 2010 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
4. He invented shadowing

I used shadowing long before ever having heard of Prof.Arguelles and I'm sure many other language learners also have. I think it's a quite intuitive way of learning.
Ahh, well excuse me then. I'll edit my post.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5141 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 7 of 8
31 July 2010 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
I'll have to check out Glossika, McCormick, and Splog (fluentczech, I'm not sure he's technically a "polyglot" but I have like the few videos of his I have watched).

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5285 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Studies: French

Message 8 of 8
31 July 2010 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
I would have to pick Benny Lewis (Irishpolyglot) of fluentin3months.com - not based on number of languages but
for his high level of enthusiasm, openness about results achieved, unconventional yet logical methods and mostly
his entertaining and detailed blog of each learning mission.

Edited by microsnout on 31 July 2010 at 7:01am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version