Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6899 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 9 of 10
06 August 2010 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
Andy seems to be muddling along alright in that so far.

Well, I have been known to string together a couple of comprehensible sentences from time to time.... :-)

Quote:
I am attaching a link which might be of interest Science Daily article which compares the effectiveness and differying mental process associated with perception of foreign audio with no subtitles, home language subtitles and foreign language subtitles.

Interesting link. I've downloaded the original article to read as I'm intrigued to see if there is any reference to subtitle accuracy because my order of preference for a film in L2 where my audio comprehension is rusty or not up to scratch is:

1. Accurate L2 subtitles / Closed L2 captioning
2. L1 Subtitles
3. No subtitles
4. Plucking out my own eyeballs
5. Random sentences masquerading as L2 subtitles but actually bearing no resemblance to what is being said.

Option 5 being (unfortunately) the generally available one. Whatever we call this be it "closed-captioning" or accurate subtitles, the problem is finding the available resources. I'm guessing soundtracks marked "English for the hearing impaired" are closed-captioning in English but I can't say I've tried one to find out. I'd want to know that a movie purchased on-line actually had this captioning before handing over my hard-earned.

Edited by Andy E on 06 August 2010 at 9:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6899 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 10 of 10
06 August 2010 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
I've downloaded the original article to read as I'm intrigued to see if there is any reference to subtitle accuracy

And here we have it:

As we used real subtitles, our results also have practical implications. Although the use of real subtitles meant that the listeners did not get a word-by-word transcription of the dialogue, it allows us to generalize our results to visual media exposure outside the laboratory.

This seems to contradict the following statement:

Such same-language subtitles indicate which words are being spoken, and so, via the lexically-guided retuning mechanism, they can boost speech learning and hence facilitate language understanding.

Nonetheless, althuiogh the focus in the research is on understanding regional English accents when English is already well-known, its implications for improving general L2 comprehension seem to fit with my personal experience. I'm inclined to email the author(s) and ask about the above (apparent) contradiction.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version