deej
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5125 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Hindi, English*, Italian, French

Message 1 of 30
31 July 2010 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Hi, I've just joined this forum and am a very keen linguist.

I currently 'speak' 9 languages-that is, I have some knowledge of 9 though I would have
serious trouble speaking half of them well.

I love languages and would really like to improve upon the ones I have already learnt
as well as many more; I would like to speak maybe 15 to 20 languages at least by the
time I die/grow old.

Therefore I wanted to ask the following questions:

1. Is it possible(realistically) for everyone to speak 20 lanaguages or more?
2. How difficult would it be? Next to impossible or manageable but with considerable
effort?
3. How might it work? By this I mean that I doubt I am going to ever be able to have 20
languages at my fingertips so is it likely that I would only be able to speak them
after a couple of days of revision or looking through books? If so, this would slightly
ruin it for me.
4. Is there any other advice you would give me?

Thanks very much for any replies.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 30
31 July 2010 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
You can become conversational in 20 languages (search people like Moses McCormick) but advanced/native fluency in 20, no. Unless you live for 150 years or so.

zamie
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5040 days ago

83 posts - 126 votes 
Studies: German, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 30
31 July 2010 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Deej, your goal is attainable, but only if you dedicate your life to learning languages.
If you were to live in these 20 countries for at least one year each, and made an
obsessive effort to learn the languages, then by 20 years you'd have completed your goal.
Also after the 20 years you would need to practice weekly just to retain them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5058 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 4 of 30
31 July 2010 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
I suppose it depends on the thinking of the person, and now matter how much I wanted to learn 20, 30 or 40 languages, I'm kind of realistic and rather achieve advanced fluency in French, German, Swedish, Finnish and Arabic during my whole life than learn 20 languages in only conversational level. That's just my point of view.

Adamdm
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5224 days ago

62 posts - 89 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Dari, German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 30
31 July 2010 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
deej wrote:
... I would like to speak maybe 15 to 20 languages at least by the
time I die/grow old.

Go for it!

The set of possible outcomes is
1) succeed
2) die trying
3) don't try

As death unfortunately seems to be an inevitable (in contrast to growing old, which is something to be hoped for), option (3) is actually "die, not having tried".

To be quite fair, option (1) must also be recognised actually to be "succeed, then die", but in this case, someone might set up an internet discussion forum* in your honour!

[*or whatever the latest thing is in the future]
2 persons have voted this message useful

deej
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5125 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes

Message 6 of 30
31 July 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the replies.

My main two worries were that:
1. Memory-I learnt German GCSE two years ago and have now forgotten a fair chunk of the
language(I haven't revised since), and I learnt Spanish and Mandarin a year ago(haven't
revised since) and have also forgotten a lot-so if I keep forgetting then I will never
be able to speak 15-20 languages, unless I keep revising them constantly which would
take some of the fun away.
2. Confusion-I have some knowledge of lots of languages but can barely speak most of
them-this is probably just because I need to revise/ didn't learn them to a high level
but it could be that I get confused between them. Again, if this is the case, my dream
of trying to learn 20 or so would never be attained.

I don't want to devote my whole life to languages, as even though they are my greatest
passion, I also have other interests, like guitar, philosophy, sport.

Any replies, as detailed as possible, would be greatly appreciated, especially from
those who know a lot about this or can speak many languages themselves. Thanks.

Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5569 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Studies: Swedish

Message 7 of 30
31 July 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
hmm...I suppose if bulk number is all you care about you could cheat a little, once you have Norweigan then learn a little bit about the differences of Danish and Swedish then you will understand quite a large chunk of them. And then there's outright cheats where some sources count dialects or even the same language in different countries as seperate languages.

I'm quite the same overall. I 'know' 10 languages or something like that. Just basics though and to make up for this wide scattering of knowledge I can't excel in one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

deej
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5125 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes

Message 8 of 30
31 July 2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Thing is, though, I've heard of guys who have been able to speak 50, 60, 70
languages(just do a Google search if you don't believe me) which suggests that for me to
speak 20-25 languages should definitely be possible. Unless I'm missing something?

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version