587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 25 of 30
09 August 2010 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
You may not use more than 3000 words actively, but to read ordinary
books og magazines you need a much larger vocabulary. I did a passive vocabulary
TID=12983&PN=0&TPN=106">survey last year for all my languages, and for those
languages I claim to speak I counted typically 20.000 words or more - including
loanwords and derivations words insofar they were listed as headwords. And there is a
clear connection between known (passive) words and my ability to read comfortably
without looking words up all the time. Under 10.000 = keep your dictionary within
reach.

I have no idea how so many words are stored in the brain, but they apparently have
lodged themselves there in some way, and it has taken a lot of time, dedication and
wordlists to learn them.

Did I mention the word 'dictionary'? Well even such a thing may not be enough. Take a
dictionary with, say, 20000 words and read a typical book for native grown-ups, where
you look up all unknown or doubtful words. Did you find them all in the dictionary?
Probably not - which just proves that even a vocabulary of 20.000 isn't enough - it
wasn't enough for your dictionary, so it isn't enough for you. Quod erat
demonstrandum..
Good point, I wasn't even thinking about passive vocabulary (depending on the
language and what you know, a lot of it could be figured out from derivatives and
common roots), it would help to know that many words if reading a novel. I was really
tired, and for some reason I only thought about speaking a language, not
writing/hearing/reading.
My mistake.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 30
09 August 2010 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I agree very much with Iversen but with a slight nuance that, I'm sure, he is probably aware of. When one speaks of a word, as in 3000 words for a basic vocabulary, one must be aware that many words have multiple meanings, especially the most common words. I prefer to speak of lexical units associated with a given word. If you look up the English verb "to make" in a big dictionary, you will see a very long list of meanings and all sorts of idiomatic expressions with that word. Then look up the same word in any bilingual dictionary and you'll see how complicated it is to translate "to make". In a similar manner, if you look up the translation of the Spanish "ya" into English, you will probably be surprised how many different usages of "ya" exist.

The point of all of this is that a basic vocabulary of 3000 words is actually more like 10000 lexical units and 20000 words correspond to many many more units.

The other nuance is that this idea of a core vocabulary of 3000 words for 90% of our speaking needs does not take into account the fact that any given specific subject requires some specialized vocabulary. For example, you can speak Spanish very fluently with those 3000 words but you can quickly feel stumped if you are asked to explain in Spanish how to make a cheese omelette or how to buy a bicycle.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 30
09 August 2010 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
I certainly agree with s_allard, - in fact the most common words in a language are generally also those that have the most idiomatic uses - and the most varied ones too. But my word counts are based on the notion 'headword', which roughly are the words printed in bold typeface in a dictionary in the target language. It is the only practical way to do those counts.

deej
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5135 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Hindi, English*, Italian, French

Message 28 of 30
09 August 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
deej wrote:
Iversen, surely you are proof that it is possible to
speak 20 or so languages? So I'm surprised that your post seemed to suggest that it was
near-impossible, unless I misinterpreted?

I don't speak 20 or more languages. I can speak maybe a dozen well enough to have
conversations in them when I travel, and most of these also well enough to have a chat
at home if I happen to meet a suitable foreigner. But I can write in maybe twenty
languages because I have time to look up words and grammar, and because I can go back
to correct the most blatant of my errors. And I can read in even more languages and
dialects by using related ones to guide me.

Well, that sounds great! Even though I would really love to be able to speak them all
well, I think just having some knowledge of as many languages as possible, or a fair
few languages, even if that knowledge was very limited, would be good enough for me.
But I've decided to just see how it goes instead of setting myself definite targets-
targets may lead to just frustration/putting too much pressure on myself and taking the
fun away.

I'm not so sure of what you said about not being in a bilingual/trilingual environment
being a massive drawback though, I could and have spent days being mostly surrounded by
French through using the Internet, French magazines and newspapers, vocab sheets and
French books and films, and I live in London! So it is still possible to gain access to
your target language.

egbert
United Kingdom
Joined 5008 days ago

20 posts - 19 votes
Studies: Japanese, English*

Message 30 of 30
19 August 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
it will probarly be possible but only if you spend your whole life learning. I know it doesnt say it but I speak 4 languages fluently and intend to learn more

GOOD LUCK!

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version