Israel
Joined 5047 days ago

51 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 6
31 July 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

Ive been using this forum for two weeks and i must say that it has helped me a lot in terms of starting my journey in Spanish. I am currently working on FSI Programmatic and i reached unit 8.
I like FSI very much. I really feel the improvement of my pronunciation and understanding live while going through the phases that the program throws at you. My problem with FSI is that i don't have a tutor. Does anyone have an idea how to use the Application section at the end of each unit to the best of it's ability?
Also, in the last few days i have been studying one unit a day. Though it's a little bit faster than recommended, i feel like each unit brings new challenge and i am able to master those challenges pretty efficiently. The reviews i am doing in the start of each phase confirm it. Will it hurt my progress if i continue that fast? Should i just continue that way until i reach a unit much harder that will require me to slow down?

I'm happy to say that i completely dumped Pimsleur because i felt that it gave me what i needed (which is a well founded pronunciation).

I have been reading about the L-R technique. where can i get the audio files for popular Spanish books? My local library doesn't include Spanish so basically i need an online service that will provide me with the Spanish version + English version + audio.
1 person has voted this message useful

re4lover
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 5248 days ago

63 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English, Russian, Modern Hebrew, Aramaic

Message 2 of 6
31 July 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
i think one lesson for day is too faster than usual especially for FSI
you must studying it slowly to make sure that you understand it well

L-R , i don't know a lot about it so i can't help you in it

but i'm advising you to use Michel Thomas Method it helps a lot for foundation of any language

robbie:)

TerryW
United States
Joined 6168 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 6
31 July 2010 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
re4lover wrote:

He said he's doing FSI PROGRAMMATIC, so a lesson a day is fine.

If he was studying FSI BASIC, I'd agree with you, as it's far more intensive in content and drills per unit.

talkl
Diglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 5047 days ago

51 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 6
31 July 2010 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
re4lover wrote:

If he was studying FSI BASIC, I'd agree with you, as it's far more intensive in content and drills per unit.

what you are saying here is pretty critical. I did notice a lack of challenge and content. Do you know how do the later stages feel in terms of content?
If programmatic was not finished all the way to the 100 units why do people still keep using it?
I'm going to try the Basic course (unit I) and see the difference and how i like it.

Thank you

re4lover
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 5248 days ago

63 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English, Russian, Modern Hebrew, Aramaic

Message 5 of 6
01 August 2010 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
talkl wrote:
TerryW wrote:
re4lover wrote:

what you are saying here is pretty critical. I did notice a lack of challenge and content. Do you know how do the later stages feel in terms of content?
If programmatic was not finished all the way to the 100 units why do people still keep using it?
I'm going to try the Basic course (unit I) and see the difference and how i like it.

Thank you

I am apologizing to you , misunderstanding happened to me
coz i thought you used FSI Basic
If you've used it so your method will be too faster
sorry again

Edited by re4lover on 01 August 2010 at 11:51am

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5208 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 6 of 6
02 August 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
talkl wrote:

I have been reading about the L-R technique. where can i get the audio files for popular Spanish books? My local library doesn't include Spanish so basically i need an online service that will provide me with the Spanish version + English version + audio.

Inter-Library Loan is your friend. There is also a thread about free audiobook sites if you do a search on here.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version