michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5053 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
02 August 2010 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
Well i downloaded the first search result for french. It is called intermediate french, and i thought it would be a pretty good source for new words. Since of course i didn't make the list, i used
http://fr. thefreedictionary. com/
http://www. wordreference. com/
To add my own examples and check the list. I initially tried using a hardcover dictionary, but found it too slow.

I agree with Uncle Davey’s theory that hand writing can be superior to typing when trying to remember, so I thought why not try to combine that with anki ? The words I dont know, I put in the list, and I try to get 25 words on one page. I dated it, and I probably won't distill after 2 weeks, I'm thinking because I'm using anki I should probably distill further down the line. My reasoning for this is uncle davey believes short term memory can trick you into thinking you know it, and with anki I'm probably going to have the words in my short term memory longer. So I figured, if I wait a bit, the intervals on anki get longer, and when I try to distill, I will really be relying on long term memory.

Not sure if anyone has done this, but whether you have or haven't, your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, i can't find davey's excel sheet to download. Also does anyone know an easy way to take the sound files from those dictionary sites and put it on your computer for anki ?

Edited by michaelmichael on 02 August 2010 at 5:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5315 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 2 of 5
02 August 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm not really familiar with the Gold List method, but for Japanese I do study
meaning→kanji and meaning→audio separately. For meaning→writing I've got a book of graph
paper, and I've filled up about 10 pages so far. I can also see my penmanship improving,
which is a decent motivator. I've found that, if I don't have enough time to study in
every direction I'd like, studying kanji→audio and audio→kanji is the best use of time.
That probably isn't too applicable to French though.

Going card by card, you should be able to click and drag the link of sound files from
your browser into one of the fact fields in Anki, and it should automatically download
the file and put it in the .media/ folder for the deck.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5053 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 3 of 5
02 August 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Akalabeth wrote:
I'm not really familiar with the Gold List method, but for Japanese I do study
meaning→kanji and meaning→audio separately. For meaning→writing I've got a book of graph
paper, and I've filled up about 10 pages so far. I can also see my penmanship improving,
which is a decent motivator. I've found that, if I don't have enough time to study in
every direction I'd like, studying kanji→audio and audio→kanji is the best use of time.
That probably isn't too applicable to French though.

Going card by card, you should be able to click and drag the link of sound files from
your browser into one of the fact fields in Anki, and it should automatically download
the file and put it in the .media/ folder for the deck.

I haven't been able to drag the sound off the dictionary site, but i was able to record it with http:// audacity . sourceforge.net/ and cut the part i need. Doing both methods, while looking up with the electronic dictionary has hovered around 30 minutes for 35 cards unique cards. I don't know if this is horrible in terms of how time consuming it is, but i find just flashing the cards without audio, and penmanship, it is difficult for the words to sink in.

The goldlist method is basically write down 25 words, after 2 weeks to 2 month, recopy 17 of the 25, and then repeat. 17 down to 12, 12 down 9 and then eventually a new book, writing down a new list of 25 being composed of all the hardest words from the previous list. He does it in a clockwise fashion.

What browser are you using and which website are you getting the sound files for the words ? Do you have any special tools for your browser ?

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5315 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 4 of 5
02 August 2010 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I just tested it using Chrome, and it worked fine. I'm pretty sure this'll work with
Firefox, but it's not working on my computer at them moment, so I can't test.

But at http://swac-collections.org/listen/fra/accordéon if you click and drag the MP3
link into one of the fields in Anki it should be replaced with something like
[sound:2488dba5e3dbddd97a84c8b9de070e70.mp3]. Ignoring the time it takes to navigate
between pages or whatever to get each word, the actual copying into Anki process should
take seconds.

EDIT: If the site uses Flash or something similar to play the audio without giving you
an actual download link that probably won't work. There is a Firefox plugin that can
help to download stuff from such sites. DownloadHelper or something like that, it has 3
little colored globes as a logo. Probably quicker than Audacity, but still slower than
sites that provide download links.

Edited by Akalabeth on 02 August 2010 at 11:37pm

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5053 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 5 of 5
02 August 2010 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Akalabeth wrote:
I just tested it using Chrome, and it worked fine. I'm pretty sure this'll work with
Firefox, but it's not working on my computer at them moment, so I can't test.

But at http://swac-collections.org/listen/fra/accordéon if you click and drag the MP3
link into one of the fields in Anki it should be replaced with something like
[sound:2488dba5e3dbddd97a84c8b9de070e70.mp3]. Ignoring the time it takes to navigate
between pages or whatever to get each word, the actual copying into Anki process should
take seconds.

EDIT: If the site uses Flash or something similar to play the audio without giving you
an actual download link that probably won't work. There is a Firefox plugin that can
help to download stuff from such sites. DownloadHelper or something like that, it has 3
little colored globes as a logo. Probably quicker than Audacity, but still slower than
sites that provide download links.

Thanks, tested it out and it works great. Though the site didn't have remmener, which was the first word i tried.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version