joni89
Diglot
United States
Joined 5599 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 6
03 August 2010 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
I am at a pretty high level in my Hebrew but the one thing holding me back is my lack of vocab.

I have kept a notebook with vocab lists, meaning a single world and the English definition next to it. But I was wondering if it might be easier to memorize the words if I have a basic sentence using the word and the definition of the word next to it.

Have any of you done this?
1 person has voted this message useful

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5315 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
03 August 2010 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
I use example sentences for Japanese, and it helps a lot, provided you don't rely on it
while studying (unless context is necessary to translate the word, you should be able to
understand/produce the word without the sentence). It can also make studying take a bit
longer; I only look at the sentence if it's necessary to translate the word, or if I got
the word wrong.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 3 of 6
03 August 2010 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
Using a sentence as an example is one of the best ways to learn how words work in a sentence. I wouldn't consider it essential, but I think it's helpful to learn words in context. There is even a whole method based around learning this way known as sentence mining. Basically you just find as many sentences as you can, and you put those into SRS software (Anki, Mnemosyne). For me, I do that in combination with the individual words, but I use both quite extensively. They can both be helpful, but the most important thing is to find what works for you. Good luck in finding a formula that helps you learn your vocabulary!

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 6
03 August 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Learning a word in a sentence is not "learning in context", it is "learning in a context". If the sentence is always the same, you're still studying a fixed list.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 5 of 6
03 August 2010 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
The point isn't to find one sentence with that particular word. It's to find multiple sentences with that word. Then as you keep finding sentences, you're bound to find more sentences that contain that word. There's nothing fixed about it. It all just builds on itself.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 6 of 6
04 August 2010 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
This is an old debate that has taken many forms here. I'm of the learning in context school simply because this is how words are actually used. One the biggest problems we have when learning a new language is how to begin to think and formulate phrases in the target language. If you just learn words, you don't get any sense of the proper usage of the words and you often end up using L2 words in L1 structures. I can see learning some words in an isolated way, but fundamentally you have to learn words and their usage at the same time.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version