Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Alexander Arguelles’ Wikipedia Article

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5036 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 1 of 6
04 August 2010 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Hello, I’ve been a lurker on this site for a very long time. I’ve finally decided to sign up so that I could write this post because I noticed that the Wikipedia article about Alexander Arguelles has been flagged as having numerous issues and so it might be deleted.

There was a post on this forum not long ago about how language learning was like the mental version of getting into good physical shape and maintaining it. So, being a polyglot would be like being a competitive athlete. Athletes are considered notable for their achievements, so shouldn’t polyglots be considered notable too?

I don’t know how to address this myself, and I don’t know how to address the links issues either because I’ve never written anything for Wikipedia. But, I figured there might be some people here who do know and who also feel that there should be more articles about polyglots, not fewer, and so they might want to help clean up the article. Actually, they seem to want it to be written from different points of view, so maybe working on this article could be a starting point for getting more articles up about other polyglots as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5615 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
04 August 2010 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Here is the link. Wiki. Prof
A.

1 person has voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6729 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 6
04 August 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
I think turning polyglots into pseudo-celebrities is kind of silly. Real polyglots are too busy studying to be worried about being famous.
3 persons have voted this message useful

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 6013 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 4 of 6
04 August 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
I have to say, reading that article, that I think it should be deleted. I guess if you really want it to stay, then you could focus on putting more stuff about his accomplishments, rather than his "monastic lifestyle", what languages he has studied, etc. Those things are not achievements, and if you read a Wikipedia article about a notable person, you will find that information about their personal life probably does not overshadow their accomplishments in that way. However, I know nothing about this person nor about what else he has achieved.
3 persons have voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5403 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 5 of 6
04 August 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I agree with anamsc. As for the professor's shadowing technique, it is not even
referred to in the main body of the article and only in the reference section as a link
to youtube. Although wikipedia is not the most reliable source of information by any
means, this particular entry does look like a kind of second rate blog that we might see
here on this site. Having that, just to be clear, I am talking about the article
itself, it's style of writing and overall lack of sbstantial content rather than anything
about the professor himself.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
04 August 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion the article should not be deleted, - there are articles about lots of other scholars and scientists, and I can't see why those who have chosen polyglottery should be less important than people who sing a songs other have written for them (just to mention one group of celebrities).

However it is a problem that the article isn't more specific about the methods he has proposed.   

6 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version