Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mainlymagyar : My own multiconfused log!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
35 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5419 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 33 of 35
29 November 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing my article ;)

It's looking like I won't be continuing to maintain my Hungarian (I do have 8 other languages to worry about plus 4 new ones I want to take on next year), but it was a fascinating experience and I wish you the best of luck in your project :)
1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 34 of 35
30 November 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:

It's looking like I won't be continuing to maintain my Hungarian (I do have 8 other languages to worry about plus 4 new ones I want to take on next year), but it was a fascinating experience and I wish you the best of luck in your project :)

Szomorú vagyok, hogy ezt hallom!
Még mindig értem!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 35 of 35
05 August 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
After several months I “finished” the Assimil Norwegian course. As for the results???? Well, I will confess that I am
able to read a Norwegian news article without too much difficulty. Unfortunately, my comprehension and
speaking is an entirely different matter. Despite working through the entire book, I still struggle to understand
the most basic Norwegian conversations. Norwegian is one of those languages where the words all meld
together in normal speech. I am aware that English does this as well   “Howyadointoday?”    ;so I can empathize
with students of English in this respect. I’m sure that if I had a few good, solid months of Norwegian immersion I
could come a long way. Unfortunately I don’t think that will happen anytime soon unless I stow away on a
Hurtigruten ship…..

Most of this summer I have spent reviewing Mandarin Chinese and Hungarian. I was shocked to find that I had
nearly forgotten everything I had learned with these two languages. Luckily, going through the Assimil courses,
up to unit 30 or so, brought a lot of it back. It was much easier learning these languages the “second time
around”.

August brings another 6 week challenge. I was considering using it as a review for my other rusty languages,
however, another language siren drew me in. I will be spending six weeks trying to learn as much Israeli Hebrew
as possible. I am mainly interested in learning how to read the Hebrew script and to study the similarities
between Hebrew and the Levantine dialect of Arabic. I’m told that although they are both Semitic languages, they
are similar to English and, say, French. The two languages have many shared vocabulary words, but are by no
means mutually intelligible. That being said, I recall seeing a news article several years back where Rechov
Sumsum (The Israeli version of Sesame Street) was broadcast in the Palesinian areas using dialogues that would
be understood by both Hebrew speaking and Arabic speaking children!

My 6 week plan of attack will start with Pimsleur. Luckily my library has all 90 lessons! It also has the Routledge
Colloquial Hebrew course which teaches the Hebrew script. From there I might move on to the Assimil L’Hebreu
Sans Peine course. This is a ways off, however, as it is entirely in French and the Hebrew script. לְהִתרָאוֹת.
(L’hitra’ot – see ya later!)

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version