dagreatone2009
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5206 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Esperanto, Catalan

Message 1 of 6
04 August 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question for those who have used/are using FSI for their
studies.

How do you use FSI for your studies? I'm somewhat confused on how to utilize this method
cause I want to use FSI with my Assimil(which is going great by the way). Any advice and
opinions will be greatly appreciated!
1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 6
04 August 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
It depends because all of the FSI courses are different.

Which FSI course are you studying?

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 3 of 6
04 August 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
For German I'm using FSI and Assimil. I plan to do FSI after Assimil to really reinforce the grammar. After that I'll begin really laying on the native material :)

dagreatone2009
Joined 5206 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 4 of 6
05 August 2010 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
I'm planning on using FSI Spanish and French. How would one use those in a effective way?

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 6
05 August 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
dagreatone2009 wrote:
I'm planning on using FSI Spanish and French. How would one use those in a effective way?

The French is pretty self-explanatory. If you look in the French Basic Course introduction, page v. it gives specific instructions how to work through each unit. There is so much audio in the French course, just by going through the tapes with the book you will learn a great deal of French.

There are 2 different Spanish courses.

Programmatic Spanish literally leads you through the course. You listen to the tapes with the book open and follow the prompts.

Spanish Basic Course is the same thing as the modern day "Platiquemos" course. It is similar to the French course. There are very detailed instructions in the introduction pages 0.3-0.7 as to how to use the course.

I find it is most useful to import new vocabulary into Anki and learn it as well as possible BEFORE listening to the tapes. Then I go through each lesson a few times with the book CLOSED and try to understand as much as possible. Then I go through it a few times with the book open and try to memorize as much as possible. When you think you have mastered the unit, try it again with no book to ensure mastery. FSI sees no problem with "overlearning" a unit so keep doing it until you hear the dialogues in your sleep!! :-)

Edited by liddytime on 05 August 2010 at 3:26pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dagreatone2009
Joined 5206 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 6 of 6
05 August 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
dagreatone2009 wrote:
I'm planning on using FSI Spanish and
French. How would one use those in a effective way?

The French is pretty self-explanatory. If you look in the French Basic Course
introduction, page v. it gives specific instructions how to work through each unit.
There is so much audio in the French course, just by going through the tapes with the
book you will learn a great deal of French.

There are 2 different Spanish courses.

Programmatic Spanish literally leads you through the course. You listen to the tapes
with the book open and follow the prompts.

Spanish Basic Course is the same thing as the modern day "Platiquemos" course. It is
similar to the French course. There are very detailed instructions in the introduction
pages 0.3-0.7 as to how to use the course.

I find it is most useful to import new vocabulary into Anki and learn it as well as
possible BEFORE listening to the tapes. Then I go through each lesson a few times with
the book CLOSED and try to understand as much as possible. Then I go through it a few
times with the book open and try to memorize as much as possible. When you think you
have mastered the unit, try it again with no book to ensure mastery. FSI sees no
problem with "overlearning" a unit so keep doing it until you hear the dialogues in
your sleep!! :-)

Hmmm that seems pretty good, thanks for your opinion!! :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version