zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5103 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 6
05 August 2010 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
In Anki when adding words to the word list that has multiple meanings. Do you put all
the meanings with the word or do you write the word multiple times and each time with
that word.

For instance:
bei - with
bei - at the home of
bei - at a place of business
bei - near
bei - during
bei - at

or

bei - with, at the home of, at a place of business, near, during, at
1 person has voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5040 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 2 of 6
05 August 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
I generally write the word once, then put all definitions on the answer section. I usually try to limit this to three different definitions. This works for most words, especially when some meanings are derivatives of others. I find that anything more than 3 gets to be too much to process and puts a strain on recall. 4 is my personal maximum, in certain cases where additional clarification is necessary. Still, I think it's fine to put all definitions in the answer section, and I put the main word in the question section.

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5278 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 3 of 6
05 August 2010 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
I put similar meanings together, but otherwise keep them separate. Then when I'm
reviewing I can show either an example sentence if context is necessary, or if I don't
have a sentence a list of homographs/homophones/synonyms (as applicable for whatever
direction I'm studying) and then pick out the correct answer by process of elimination.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 6
05 August 2010 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
In the case of prepositions, you really should incorporate examples. There is no 1 to 1 equivalent for prepositions.

Otherwise, if you must learn word X, I'd want to learn of the word's meanings at once; but if you are learning a word because it's in something you are studying (a text, a book, etc.), then perhaps the meaning in that context only might be sufficient.

But really, you don't need to be consistent -- it's not the end of the world. You learn as you go, whether it's one word's meaning at a time, or all one word's meanings at once, it probably comes to the same all in all.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5525 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 5 of 6
06 August 2010 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Arekkusu - I don't think there's a whole lot of value in just writing out the various different meanings of a preposition without also giving examples of their usage.

My entry for "bei" might look something like this.

Bei + dative (always). Bei + dem = beim.

Bei - at the house of - Ich bin bei meiner Mutter.

Bei - at a place of business etc - Mein Neffe ist beim Arzt.

Bei - near (referring to space) wir wohnen bei Berlin.

Bei - during - Bei der Arbeit.

Bei - over - Das können wir bei einem Glas Wein besprechen (we can discuss that over a glass of wine)

Bei = with reference to something which may or may not occur - bei Schnee solltet ihr zu Hause bleiben (= if there is snow/if it snows you should stay home)

Edited by LanguageSponge on 06 August 2010 at 1:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5092 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 6
10 August 2010 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
I did think of making cards with the examples from a monolingual dictionary, like this:

Q: He had the reputation of being a bit of a wolf.
A: a man who often tries to have sex with the women he meets

Q: The boys wolfed the sandwiches (down) and then started on the cakes.
A: to eat a large amount of food very quickly

Q: Wolves hunt in groups known as packs.
A: a wild animal of the dog family

But I am currently just ignoring multiple meanings, I just select the one that is the most concrete and literal (in this case the animal) to be my answer.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version